|Directed by||Bertrand Bonello|
|Written by||Bertrand Bonello|
|Music by||Bertrand Bonello|
|Edited by||Fabrice Rouaud|
|Distributed by||Wild Bunch|
Nocturama is a 2016 drama film written and directed by Bertrand Bonello. It was released in France on 31 August 2016. It tells the story of a group of young, multiracial radicals committing a series of terrorist attacks in Paris.
The plot involves a group of ethnically diverse young people who, for unclear reasons, orchestrate a terror attack on Paris.
- Finnegan Oldfield as David
- Vincent Rottiers as Greg
- Hamza Meziani as Yacine
- Manal Issa as Sabrina
- Martin Guyot as Andre
- Jamil McCraven as Mika
- Rabah Nait Oufella as Omar
- Laure Valentinelli as Sarah
- Ilias le Dore as Samir
- Robin Goldbronn as Fred
- Luis Rego as Jean-Claude
- Hermine Karagheuz as Patricia
Nocturama received positive reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 87% based on 39 reviews, and an average rating of 7.8/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a score 71 out of 100, based on 15 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Jordan Hoffman of The Guardian gave the film 3 stars out of 5, describing it as "[a] provocative French hipster-terrorism picture that is too crafty to ignore, but too obnoxious to embrace." Pamela Pianezza of Variety stated that "Bertrand Bonello's controversial portrait of Parisian radicals planning terror attacks around the city refuses to explain the unexplainable." David Ehrlich of IndieWire gave the film a grade of "B−", writing, "It's fine that Bonello would rather raise unsettling questions than provide unhelpful answers, but his inquiry often feels every bit as confused as his characters."
Ignatiy Vishnevetsky of The A.V. Club gave the film a grade of "A" and praised Bonello as a director who "has matured into a singular talent of modern film". He wrote, "Nocturama embraces abstractions and contradictions and locates meaning in them: the terrorists' need for attention and fear of being caught; the symbolism and meaninglessness of the plan; their status as sworn enemies of the status quo and creatures of the modern world; the contrast between the scale of the attack and the claustrophobia of the group's blinkered point-of-view." Jordan Mintzer of The Hollywood Reporter said, "if you put reality aside and try to judge the movie in a sort of vacuum, there are definitely things worth salvaging — such as Bonello's assured stylistic hand, which mixes fluid Steadicam shots with an array of tantalizing soundtrack choices, as well as an elliptical narrative that brings a handful of characters together in captivating ways, especially in the film's suspenseful first half."
Nocturama ranked at number 13 on Sight & Sound's annual critics' poll. It ranked at number 3 on Film Comment's "Best Undistributed Films of 2016" list, as well as number 5 on their "Best Films of 2017" list.
- Pianezza, Pamela (August 30, 2016). "Film Review: 'Nocturama'". Variety. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- JP. "Nocturama (2016)- JPBox-Office". www.jpbox-office.com.
- "Nocturama". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Nordine, Michael (May 12, 2016). "'Nocturama' Trailer & Poster: 'Paris Is Happening' in Bertrand Bonello's Terrorism Drama". IndieWire. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Acevedo, Yoselin (May 11, 2017). "'Nocturama' Trailer: A Group of Teens Plan a Terrorist Attack in Paris in Bertrand Bonello's New Thriller". IndieWire. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "Nocturama". Toronto International Film Festival. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "Nocturama". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Nocturama". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- Hoffman, Jordan (September 9, 2016). "Nocturama review – attention-grabbing hipster terrorism in Paris". The Guardian. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Ehrlich, David (September 8, 2016). "'Nocturama' Is 'Elephant' For The The Age Of ISIS — TIFF Review". IndieWire. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Vishnevetsky, Ignatiy (August 10, 2017). "Nocturama is a mesmerizing, disturbing tour de force—and one of the best films of the year". The A.V. Club. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- Mintzer, Jordan (August 30, 2016). "'Nocturama': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "The best films of 2016". British Film Institute. December 8, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "Best Undistributed Films of 2016". Film Comment. December 13, 2016. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- "Best Films of 2017". Film Comment. November 23, 2017. Retrieved December 21, 2017.
- Hopewell, John; Mayorga, Emilio (September 24, 2016). "'I Am Not Madame Bovary' Wins San Sebastian Festival: Complete List of Winners". Variety. Retrieved December 17, 2016.
- Mango, Agustin (November 26, 2016). "'People That Are Not Me' Tops Mar del Plata Film Festival". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 17, 2016.