Nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma
|Nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma|
|Micrograph of a lymph node biopsy showing nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin lymphoma, with the Reed–Sternberg cell variant that has a popcorn-shaped nucleus (left-bottom of image). H&E stain.|
|Classification and external resources|
|Specialty||Hematology and oncology|
Some people no longer classified it as a form of classic Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL). This is because the Reed-Sternberg Cell (RSC) variants (popcorn cells) that characterize this form of the disease invariably express B lymphocyte markers such as CD20 (thus making NLPHL an unusual form of B cell lymphoma), and that (unlike classic HL) NLPHL may progress to diffuse large B cell lymphoma.
There are small but clear differences in prognosis between the various forms. Lymphocyte predominant HL is an uncommon subtype composed of vague nodules of numerous reactive lymphocytes admixed with large popcorn-shaped RSC. Unlike classic RSC, the non-classic popcorn-shaped RS cells of NLPHL are CD15 and CD30 negative while positive for the B cell marker CD20. The anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody Rituximab has been used in lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma with encouraging results.
- Renné C, Martín-Subero JI, Hansmann ML, Siebert R (August 2005). "Molecular Cytogenetic Analyses of Immunoglobulin Loci in Nodular Lymphocyte Predominant Hodgkin's Lymphoma Reveal a Recurrent IGH-BCL6 Juxtaposition". J Mol Diagn. 7 (3): 352–6. PMC . PMID 16049307. doi:10.1016/S1525-1578(10)60564-8.
- Achten R, Verhoef G, De Wolf-Peeters C (December 2003). "The importance of follow-up biopsies of clinically suspicious lymphadenopathy in nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma". Haematologica. 88 (12): 1431–2. PMID 14688002.
- Saini KS, Azim HA Jr, Cocorocchio E, Vanazzi A, Saini ML, Raviele PR, Pruneri G, Peccatori FA (2011). "Rituximab in Hodgkin lymphoma: Is the target always a hit?". Cancer Treat Rev. 37 (5): 385–90. PMID 21183282. doi:10.1016/j.ctrv.2010.11.005.
- Wlodarska I, Stul M, De Wolf-Peeters C, Hagemeijer A (August 2004). "Heterogeneity of BCL6 rearrangements in nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma". Haematologica. 89 (8): 965–72. PMID 15339680.
- Wlodarska I, Nooyen P, Maes B, et al. (January 2003). "Frequent occurrence of BCL6 rearrangements in nodular lymphocyte predominance Hodgkin lymphoma but not in classical Hodgkin lymphoma". Blood. 101 (2): 706–10. PMID 12393409. doi:10.1182/blood-2002-05-1592.