Noel Alpins ophthalmologist who developed the Alpins method of astigmatism analysis used in refractive, corneal, and cataract surgery, used in the research of LASIK (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis).is an Australian
Alpins has specialized in cataract and refractive surgery since founding NewVision Clinics in Melbourne, Australia, in 1996. He received the 2012 International Society of Refractive Surgery (ISRS) and American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) Lans Distinguished Award in Chicago, and in 2014 he received with the ISRS Lifetime Achievement Award. Alpins is on the international advisory board for Refractive Surgery in China and is also an international council member of the ISRS of the AAO.
In January 2017 Alpins was awarded Member in the General Division of the Order of Australia for "significant service to ophthalmology, particularly to the development of innovative refractive surgery techniques, and to professional associations".
In October 2017, Alpins gave the Sir Norman Gregg Lecture at the 49th Annual Scientific Congress of The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists.
In November 2017, Alpins was appointed Honorary Clinical Professor to Melbourne University’s Department of Ophthalmology.
In 2018, Alpins published Practical Astigmatism Planning and Analysis, a book detailing the components of the Alpins Method procedure. 
In 2019, Alpins was awarded the José I. Barraquer Lecture and Award which honors a physician who has made significant contributions in the field of refractive surgery during his or her career.
The Alpins Method employs the vector analytic approach to astigmatism analysis, involving an ophthalmic surgical analysis system, called ASSORT (Alpins Statistical System for Ophthalmic Refractive Surgery Techniques), designed to help plan and analyze the results of refractive, corneal, and cataract surgical procedures. The method can also be used to refine surgical techniques or correct laser settings in future procedures. The system underpins astigmatism analysis approaches developed by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Astigmatism Project Group.
- Koch, DD (1997). "Excimer laser technology: new options coming to fruition". Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 23 (10): 1429–30. doi:10.1016/s0886-3350(97)80001-6. PMID 9480341
- Alpins, Noel. "NewVision Clinics". NewVision Clinics website. NewVision Clinics. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- 2012 ISRS Award Recipient, Lans Distinguished Award: Noel A. Alpins, MD, FACS (Australia)
- 2014 ISRS Lifetime Achievement Award Retrieved 2014-11-07.
- Alpins, Noel. "The Ophthalmology Innovation Summit Unites Leaders in the Development of Ophthalmic Products, Drugs & Devices". 4th Annual Ophthalmology Innovation Summit. International Business Forum. Retrieved 2013-04-09.
- "Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 March 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "RANZCO Congress 2017 Perth". Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "University of Melbourne - Department of Ophthalmology Honours 2017". Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Practical Astigmatism: Planning and Analysis". Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "International Society of Refractive Surgery". Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- Goggin, M; P Kenna; F Lavery (March 1997). "Photoastigmatic Refractive Keratectomy for Compound Myopic Astigmatism with a Nidek Laser". Journal of Refractive Surgery 1997 (13): 162-166.
- Morlet, N; D Minassian; J Dart (December 2002). "Astigmatism and the analysis of its surgical correction". British Journal of Ophthalmology 86 (12): 1458–1459.
- Borasio, E; Mehta, JS; Maurino, V (2006). "Torque and flattening effects of clear corneal temporal and on-axis incisions for phacoemulsification". Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 32 (12): 2030–8. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2006.09.010. PMID 17137979
- Eydelman, MB; Drum, B; Holladay, J; Hilmantel, G; Kezirian, G; Durrie, D; Stulting, RD; Sanders, D; Wong, B (2006). "Standardized analyses of correction of astigmatism by laser systems that reshape the cornea". Journal of refractive surgery 22 (1): 81–95. PMID 16447941.
- Koch, Douglas D. (2006). "Astigmatism analysis: The spectrum of approaches". Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 32 (12): 1977–8. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2006.10.001. PMID 17137948