8 December 1968 |
Bury, Greater Manchester,
|Education||University of Oxford, (BA); University of British Columbia (MA, PhD)|
|Occupation||Geographer at University of Wollongong (Marxist political economy, political economy of nature)|
Noel Castree FAcSS (born 8 December 1968) is a British geographer whose research interests are in capitalism-environment relationships. He is currently the editor-in-chief of the peer-reviewed journal Progress in Human Geography.
Castree was born in Bury, Greater Manchester, UK and has a BA in Geography from the University of Oxford, and an MA (1992) and PhD from the University of British Columbia (May, 1999). He taught for 5 years at Liverpool University before joining the University of Manchester in 2000 and becoming professor of geography in the School of Environment and Development in 2004. In January 2014 he joined the University of Wollongong in Australia, in a new Department of Geography & Sustainable Communities.
His "principal interests are in the political economy of environmental change, regulation and contestation. He has sought to develop and apply Marxian approaches to understanding a range of environmental problems, with an emphasis on understanding the meaning and limits of 'commodification'."
- Castree N. 2014. Making sense of nature. London and New York: Routledge.
- Castree, N. 2005. Nature: the adventures of a concept. London: Routledge. Ch.1
- Castree, N., Coe N., K. Ward & M. Samers. 2004. Spaces of work. London & Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Castree N. and D. Gregory (eds.) 2011. Human Geography. Major Works in Social Science, the Humanities and the Physical Sciences. London, Thousand Oaks and New Delhi: Sage.
- Castree N., P. Chatterton, N. Heynen, W. Larner & M. Wright (eds.) 2010. The point is to change it. Antipode Book Series. Oxford and Malden: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Castree N., D. Demeritt, D. Liverman & B. Rhoads (eds.) A Companion to Environmental Geography. Oxford and Malden: Wiley-Blackwell.
- R. Kitchin, N. Thrift, N. Castree, M. Crang and M. Domosh (eds.) 2009. International Encyclopedia of Human Geography. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Castree, N., D. Gregory (eds.) 2006. David Harvey: a Critical Reader. London and New York: Blackwell.
- Castree, N., A. Rogers, D. Sherman (eds.) 2005. Questioning geography: essays on a contested discipline. Oxford and New York: Blackwell.
- Castree, N., B. Braun (eds.) 2001. Social nature: theory, practice and politics. Oxford and Malden: Blackwell.
- Braun, B. and Castree, N. (eds.) 1998. Remaking reality: nature at the millennium. London & New York: Routledge.
|This English biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|