17 February 1956 |
Theoretical computer science
|Institutions||Tel Aviv University
Institute for Advanced Study
Microsoft Research, Herzeliya
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|Thesis||Extremal Problems in Combinatorics (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||Micha Perles|
|Doctoral students||Yossi Azar
Gregory Z. Gutin
|Known for||Combinatorial Nullstellensatz|
|Notable awards||George Pólya Prize (2000)
Israel Prize in Mathematics (2008)
Alon is Baumritter Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science in Tel Aviv University, Israel. He received his Ph.D. in Mathematics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in 1983 and had visiting positions in various research institutes including MIT, The Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, IBM Almaden Research Center, Bell Labs, Bellcore and Microsoft Research. He serves on the editorial boards of more than a dozen international journals, since 2008 he is the editor-in-chief of Random Structures and Algorithms. He has given lectures in many conferences, including plenary addresses in the 1996 European Congress of Mathematics and in the 2002 International Congress of Mathematicians, and a lecture in the 1990 International Congress of Mathematicians.
- 1992. The Probabilistic Method. (with Joel Spencer) Wiley.
- 1996. The space complexity of approximating the frequency moments. (with Yossi Matias and Mario Szegedy) ACM STOC '96.
- won their Gödel Prize in 2005.
- 1987. The monotone circuit complexity of Boolean functions. (with Ravi B Boppana). Combinatorica 1987, Volume 7, Issue 1
- 1986. Eigenvalues and expanders. Combinatorica 1986, Volume 6, Issue 2.
Alon has received a number of awards, including the following:
- the Erdős Prize in 1989;
- the Feher prize in 1991;
- the Pólya Prize in 2000;
- the Bruno Memorial Award in 2001;
- the Landau Prize in 2005;
- the Gödel Prize in 2005 (with Yossi Matias and Mario Szegedy);
- for their foundational contribution to streaming algorithms.
In addition, Alon has been a member of the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities since 1997.
- Noga Alon's home page
- Noga Alon at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Author profile in the database zbMATH
- Noga Alon's Google Scholar, h-index is 81.