The Nokia 71** series of mobile phones in general featured a special, "navi-roller", a pushable scroll wheel button for quicker scrolling and selection. It was considered to be one of the first true media phones with WAP and messaging capabilities.
- 7110 GSM 900/1800 Band Worldwide
- 7190 GSM 1900 Band for USA/Canada
- 7160 TDMA
The 7110 was Nokia's second handset with a sliding cover that could be used to answer and terminate voice calls. As with the 8110 before, with the cover deployed, the microphone was brought closer to the user's mouth, improving the clarity of the voice reception. New to the 7110 was a spring-powered release mechanism, which would release the cover when a small metal catch on the rear of the handset was depressed. The cover could also be opened manually.
Connectivity is provided via a standard IrDA transceiver on the top edge of the handset. A serial cable can also be attached to the handset's expansion terminal, to allow synchronization of the phone's contents, and to allow the phone to function as a Modem. Data capabilities are limited to circuit switched data; GPRS was not available on this handset. The WAP mini-browser established a connection to the internet using CSD.
The navi-roller was used in place of the familiar up and down buttons, allowing the user to rapidly scroll through lists of options; depressing the roller selected the currently highlighted option.
Contrary to popular myth, although the Nokia 7110 does feature a spring-loaded cover concealing the keypad; this is not the model featured in the first Matrix movie, which is the Nokia 8110 (made three years prior), which was adapted with a spring mechanism to feature in the 1999 film.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2008-09-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) First public firmware revision date
- "Nokia hits 1.5 billion sales of revolutionary Series 40 mobile phones". Archived from the original on 2015-11-17. Retrieved 2015-10-17.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20010827093408/http://press.nokia.com/PR/199902/777256_5.html Press Release
- Geronia Jr., Ed (8 June 2017). "20 Cellphones Every Filipino Went Through and Loved". Retrieved 21 July 2021.
- "Cell phone manufacturers set to pump up the hardware". infoworld.com. Archived from the original on 2009-02-21. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Nokia unveils new media phones for mobile internet access First WAP 1.1 compliant phones for Americas market". www.mobic.com.
- That Damn Matrix Phone. Neuro.me.uk/matrixphone. URL accessed on December 6, 2006