|Manufacturer||FIH Mobile (Foxconn)|
|Slogan||Share both sides of the story|
|Successor||Nokia 8 Sirocco|
Nokia 8 Sirocco
|Dimensions||151.5 mm × 73.7 mm × 7.9 mm (5.96 in × 2.90 in × 0.31 in)|
|Mass||160 g (5.64 oz)|
|Operating system||Android 7.1.1 "Nougat", upgradable to 8.1 "Oreo" (without Treble) and Android 9.0 Pie.|
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 835|
|CPU||Octa-core (4x2.45 GHz & 4x1.9 GHz) Kryo|
|Memory||4 or 6 GB RAM|
|Storage||64 or 128 GB|
|Removable storage||microSD, up to 256 GB|
|Battery||Non-removable Li-Po 3090 mAh|
|Display||5.3 in (13 cm) 2560 x 1440p QHD (554 ppi) 2.5D curved IPS LCD with Gorilla Glass 5|
|Rear camera||13 MP (Color + OIS) + 13 MP (Mono) with ZEISS optics, 1.12 μm, f/2.0 aperture, 76.9° view, PDAF, IR rangefinder, dual-tone flash|
|Front camera||13 MP PDAF, 1.12 μm, f/2.0 aperture, 78.4° view, display flash|
|Sound||Rear mounted loud speaker, Nokia OZO 360° audio, Dolby Atmos compatible decoding, active noise cancellation with dedicated microphone|
|Connectivity||• 3.5 mm TRRS headphone jack|
• Bluetooth 5.0
• USB 3.1 via USB-C port
|Other||NFC, IP54 splash resistance|
The Nokia 8 is a high-end Nokia-branded smartphone running the Android operating system. Announced on 16 August 2017 in London, England by HMD Global, the phone began sales in Europe in September 2017. Nokia 8 is the first high-end Nokia-branded device since the Nokia Lumia 930 in 2014. An improved version, the Nokia 8 Sirocco, was announced on 25 February 2018 at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
The Nokia 8 has a 5.3-inch display and averages 7.3 mm thick and 4.3 mm thick at the edges. It is available in four colors: Polished Blue, Polished Copper, Tempered Blue, and Steel. The device features a full-length graphite-shielded copper cooling pipe that is designed to pull the heat away from the Snapdragon 835 chip and dissipate it across the full length and breadth of the smartphone. The phone is not water-resistant, but is IP54 splash-resistant.
Nokia 8 comes with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 CPU, backed by either 4 or 6 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage (Tempered Blue, Steel, and Polished Copper-coloured models), or 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB of internal storage (Polished Blue). Both are expandable with microSD cards. The QHD display is protected by Gorilla Glass 5. The device includes the USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 port for charging and data transfer (up to 5 Gbit/s).
Cameras and multimedia
Nokia 8 is the first Nokia-branded phone to feature a dual-lens camera system. The rear camera module includes a set of two 13 MP sensors, of which one is an RGB sensor, and the other a monochrome sensor. The rear camera is equipped with optical image stabilization (OIS), f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, an IR rangefinder, and a dual-LED flash.
The front and rear cameras' combined standout feature is an advanced dualphotographic image camera (rebranded "Bothie" by Nokia), where the cameras can be used simultaneously by dividing the screen into a split-image setup, a technology Nokia calls Dual-Sight mode. Both the front and main cameras use ZEISS optics.
Video recording can be done in resolutions of 2160p at 30fps (4K) and 1080p at 30fps (FHD), with single-touch live streaming to social networks. The cellphone contains several microphones able to record spatial audio 360° with binaural audio codecs, providing high fidelity playback through OZO Audio technology, which was derived from the Nokia OZO camera. The phone is equipped with a single rear mounted loudspeaker, so is not fully Dolby Atmos compatible.
It is equipped with Bluetooth, however it lacks a 3.5mm headphone jack . These audio outputs use the OZO spatial audio playback to produce high quality 360° surround sound from two speakers(or ear buds) and use decoding standards compatible with Dolby Atmos and other earlier surround sound standards.
Like the Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6, it ran a near-stock version of Android 7.1.1 "Nougat" on release. One difference is the camera mobile app, so as to cater for the phone's Dual-Sight feature. It also comes with an always-on display, similar to Nokia's previous Glance Screen on the Nokia Lumia series.
On 24 November 2017, HMD started rolling out a partial (it will not include the Treble feature for device independent system updates) software upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreo. The main rollout was phased over two days, however some network operators will release the software upgrade in the following weeks.
In December 2018, Android 9.0 Pie was made available for the Nokia 8.
- "Nokia 8". Nokia. Retrieved 11 June 2018.
- El Khoury, Rita (13 February 2018). "Android 8.1 officially rolls out to the Nokia 8". Android Police. Illogical Robot LLC. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- El Khoury, Rita (6 December 2017). "Nokia 8 won't get Android 8.0 Treble feature, HMD says why - Slashgear". Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Nokia 8 specifications". gsmarena.com.
- "Nokia 8 appears on official website". gsmarena.com.
- "Nokia 8 website leak". cnet.com.
- "The Nokia 8 Sirocco is a curved glass Android flagship with no headphone jack". theverge.com.
- "Nokia 8: It has 5 cool features but it's also missing 5 key things". India Today.
- "Nokia 8: Just a flagship phone that bypasses substance for gimmicks?". Livemint.
- "Nokia 8 specs - a full flagship in every way that matters". Android Authority. 2017-08-16. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "Nokia 8 price, specifications, features". GSM Arena. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "What is Bothie? Nokia 8 will replace selfie with bothie". Zero Hacks.
- "Nokia 8 announced: its dual camera boasts Zeiss lens and OZO audio". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2017-10-19.
- "Nokia 8 cameras". NDTV. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Nokia 8 - Key features". Tech Radar. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- "Nokia 8: Release date, specs and everything you need to know for Nokia's flagship -". Pocket-lint. Retrieved 2017-10-19.
- Walton, Mark (16 August 2017). "Nokia 8: An all-aluminium flagship with same-day Android security updates". Ars Technica. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Hall, Chris (16 August 2017). "Nokia 8 preview: A flagship worth waiting for?". Pocket-lint. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- Nayan (24 November 2017). "Android Oreo update for Nokia 8 now available. Update Schedule & changelog". Nokiapoweruser. Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- Sarvikas, Juho (13 February 2018). "Juho Sarvikas on Twitter: "We are rolling out #AndroidOreo 8.1 on #Nokia8 ! Get the sweetest Android to date #Nokia8 #Nokiamobile… "". Twitter. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Sarvikas, Juho (27 September 2018). "Juho Sarvikas on Twitter: "To the passionate developer and modding community out there, we have news to share! You can now unlock the bootloader of your #Nokia8… "". Twitter. Retrieved 27 September 2018.