Nokia 9000 Communicator
The Nokia 9000 Communicator was the first product in Nokia's Communicator series, introduced in 1996. The phone was large and heavy (397 g) in comparison with its later equivalent the Nokia E90 (210 g). The Communicator part is driven by an Intel 24 MHz i386 CPU. It has 8 MB of memory, which is divided between applications (4 MB), program memory (2 MB) and user data (2 MB). The operating system is GEOS 3.0. The Communicator is considered to be the first smartphone on the market.
The Nokia 9110 Communicator is the updated model of the Nokia 9000 Communicator in the Communicator series. Its biggest change from the 9000 is that it weighs much less.
- Operating system: GEOS (running on top of ROM-DOS) on the PDA side
- Main applications: Fax, short messages, email, Wireless imaging: digital camera connectivity, Smart messaging, TextWeb, Web browser, Serial Terminal, Telnet, Contacts, Notes, Calendar, Calculator, world time clock, Composer.
- Size: 158 × 56 × 27 mm
- Weight: 253 g
- Processor: Embedded AMD Elan SC450 486 processor at 33 MHz
- Memory: 8 MB total, 4 MB Operating System and applications, 2 MB program execution, 2 MB user data storage, MMC card.
The product line was continued in 2000 by the introduction of Nokia 9210 Communicator which introduced a wide TFT colour internal screen, 32-bit ARM9-based RISC CPU at 52 MHz, 16 MB of internal memory, enhanced web abilities and most importantly saw the operating system change to the Symbian operating system. The 9210i launched in 2002 increased the internal memory to 40 MB, video streaming and flash 5 support for the web browser.
The 9xxx Communicators introduced features which later evolved into smartphones.
In popular culture
The phone is also mentioned in Bret Easton Ellis' book Glamorama.
- Nokia press release
- Vor 20 Jahren: Die Smartphone-Ära beginnt mit großem Communicator, heise.de (German)
- A photograph of the insides of the case, with the CPU, can be seen in the last picture on the right side of this page.
- Data sheet of the processor
- Nokia 9000 Communicator makes a visible appearance in "THE SAINT"
Nokia. (1996, Aug 15). First GSM-based communicator product hits the market Nokia Starts Sales of the Nokia 9000 Communicator. Retrieved Apr 30, 2016, from Nokia: http://company.nokia.com/en/news/press-releases/1996/08/15/first-gsm-based-communicator-product-hits-the-market-nokia-starts-sales-of-the-nokia-9000-communicator
Nokia. (1997, Apr 9). Nokia 9000 Communicator makes a visible appearance in "THE SAINT". Retrieved Apr 30, 2016, from Nokia: http://company.nokia.com/en/news/press-releases/1997/04/09/nokia-9000-communicator-makes-a-visible-appearance-in-the-saint
- (Finnish) More info