Nokia Asha 501
|Slogan||Pocket Power / Moves at the speed of life / One swipe to access everything you love|
|Availability by country||Global|
|Related||Nokia Asha 500|
|Form factor||Full Touch candybar|
|Dimensions||• Width: 58 mm
• Height: 99.2 mm
• Thickness: 12.1 mm
Asha software platform 1.4
|Memory||64 MB RAM|
|Removable storage||4 GB MicroSD card included (supports up to 32 GB)|
Li-Ion 1200 mAh
• Standby: 48 days
• Talk time: 17 hours
|Data inputs||Capacitive multi-point touch display|
|Display||240 x 320 px (QVGA), 3.0"
133 ppi pixel density
|Rear camera||3.2 MP, 2048x1536 pixels
Focus: 50 cm to infinity
|Sound||3.5 mm audio connector, hands-free speaker,
FM radio, music player
|Website||Nokia Asha 501 (UK)|
Nokia Asha 501 is a low-end smartphone from the Nokia Asha series, announced by Nokia on 9 May 2013 in India, and released on 24 June 2013. The device is classified by Nokia as a "Full Touch" smartphone. The phone is available in either single- or dual SIM configuration.
The cell phone is built on Nokia Asha software platform 1.0, a new software platform descended from Series 40, with a user interface similar to MeeGo on Nokia N9, and featuring technology from Smarterphone, a software company acquired by Nokia in 2012.
The device includes Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but no 3G connectivity, relying on EDGE and GPRS (2.75G) for mobile-based networking. The phone has been noted for its user-friendliness, and a battery with long talk and standby times.
The suggested price for the phone is U.S. $99 before taxes and subsidies. Models sold in South Asia support at least eight languages: English, Urdu, Hindi, Kannada, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam.
Nokia Asha 501 comes preloaded with the Nokia Xpress browser, which (according to Nokia) compresses data server-side by 90% to facilitate the least amount of transferable data with the phone. Nokia Xpress Now is a new app that offers location-based content.
Here Maps beta for Asha 501 was released on 3 July in select countries. Foursquare was released for the model on 25 July; the app won't require GPS and uses location data from the network connection. A LinkedIn app was released on 6 August for Asha 501 and other Asha full-touch phones. On 7 August 2013 the Line instant messaging app was made available for the device. Other instant messaging apps officially on offer are WeChat and eBuddy Mobile Messenger.
The phone supports 12 languages native to the Indian subcontinent in the on-screen Swipe keyboard.
The selection of included apps and user interface customisations may vary by availability and geographical region.
Nokia Asha 501 has a Nokia Glance Screen and a Nokia Fastlane plus Screen Double-tap.
A panorama camera and a voice guide on camera for self-portrait were introduced in a new update that rolled out in April,2014. This update also brought a paternal control for the apps installed in the phone.
Nokia Glance Screen
Nokia introduced Nokia Glance Screen in the previous Asha Phones with a Digital Clock and Notifications (when you have a notification(s))
Nokia Asha 501 has been noted for its battery, which offers long standby and talk times — 52 days and 17 hours, respectively — that in turn allows the phone to be used in places with inefficient or nonexistent electricity supply.
|2G (GSM/EDGE)||900/1800 MHz||850/1900 MHz||900/1800 MHz|
|SIM slots||Single SIM||Dual SIM|
- Nokia Developer device page for Asha 501
- "Nokia Asha 501: the smartest feature phone". The Telegraph.
- "Nokia's Smarterphone Buy Yields First Fruit: $99 Touchscreen Asha 501 Polishes S40 With Fastlane View For Recent Apps, Contacts". TechCrunch.
- Bonetti, Pino (3 July 2013). "Introducing HERE Maps for the Nokia Asha 501". Nokia Conversations. Nokia. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Silbert, Sarah (3 July 2013). "Nokia's Here Maps service comes to the Asha 501, beta release available now for download". Engadget. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Philip B (25 July 2013). "Foursquare on the Nokia Asha 501". Nokia Conversations. Nokia. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Burns, Chris (25 July 2013). "Nokia Asha 501 gains Foursquare app: even without GPS". Slashgear. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Ricknäs, Mikael (6 August 2013). "LinkedIn app now available on Nokia's Asha touchphones". TechHive. IDG News Service. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Phil B (6 August 2013). "LinkedIn comes to Asha touch smartphones". Nokia Conversations. Nokia. Retrieved 6 August 2013. The Asha full-touch phones are Asha 305, Asha 306, Asha 308, Asha 309, Asha 310 and Asha 311
- Philip B (7 August 2013). "Nokia Asha 501: A fun way to communicate using LINE". Nokia Conversations. Nokia. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
LINE is now available for the Nokia Asha 501. You’ll also be able to use LINE with the QWERTY-based Nokia Asha 210, Asha 205, Asha 200, Asha 201 and Nokia Asha 302.
- Abhinaya (9 May 2013). "Nokia May Launch Asha 501 3G Variant in the Next Quarter". Gizbot. Retrieved 7 August 2013.