Nokia Lumia 1520
|Slogan||What's your story?|
|First released||January 2014|
|Availability by region||January–February 2014|
|Discontinued||7 April 2015USA |
|Successor||Microsoft Lumia 950 XL|
|Related||Nokia Lumia 1320|
Nokia Lumia Icon
Nokia Lumia 930
|Dimensions||6.4 in (160 mm) H |
3.3 in (84 mm) W
0.33 in (8.4 mm) D
|Operating system||Windows Phone 8, upgradeable to Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile|
|CPU||Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core 2.2 GHz|
|Memory||2 GB RAM|
|Removable storage||Micro SD up to 64 GB|
|Battery||Non-removable Li-Ion 3400 mAh battery (BV-4BW)|
|Display||6-inch ClearBlack IPS LCD Full HD (1920×1080) with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 protection|
|Rear camera||20 MP PureView, 1/2.5" Image Sensor, six-element Carl Zeiss lens, OIS|
|Front camera||1.2 MP|
|Sound||Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones alert type|
3.5 mm headphone jack
Dolby Headphone sound enhancement
|Connectivity||WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi hotspot|
|SAR||Head: 1.39 W/kg 1 g|
Body: 1.58 W/kg 1 g
Hotspot: 0.35 W/kg 1 g
|Website||Nokia Lumia 1520|
The Nokia Lumia 1520 was a flagship Windows Phone phablet smartphone designed and produced by Finnish telecommunications manufacturer Nokia in partnership with American software manufacturer Microsoft. The device was first announced at the Nokia World event on 22 October 2013 in Abu Dhabi, alongside its mid-range phablet stablemate the Nokia Lumia 1320 and Nokia's 10.1 inch Windows RT tablet the Nokia Lumia 2520. Until its discontinuation in the United States on 7 April 2015 the phone served as the flagship device for Nokia's Lumia Series and Microsoft's mobile effort. On 6 October 2015 Microsoft officially announced its flagship phablet successor, the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, with availability sometime in November 2015.
The device was powered by a 2.2 GHz quad-core MSM8974 Snapdragon 800 system-on-chip with an ARM-based Krait 400 CPU produced by American semiconductor manufacturer Qualcomm. It was paired with 2GB of RAM and an AMD Adreno 330 GPU. The chassis was constructed of a highly durable polycarbonate unibody shell featuring the Lumia Series' signature bright colors. International units were available in black, white, red and yellow with a native storage capacity of 32GB expandable through a MicroSD card slot that can support up to 128GB. The American version was sold exclusively through telecommunications provider AT&T who limited onboard storage to 16GB but offered an exclusive green color alongside the international colors.
The screen of the 1520 was an optically-bonded Full HD (1080p) IPS display with 16 million colors featuring Nokia's proprietary ClearBlack display technology. It measured 6 in (15 cm) diagonal with a 16:9 aspect ratio, resulting in a pixel density of 367 ppi. Protection came from a sheet of chemically strengthened Corning Gorilla Glass 2. The device shipped with Windows Phone 8 preinstalled and was upgradable to Windows Phone 8.1 Now this device is included on the Microsoft list of Windows 10 Mobile upgrade, it can be upgraded through the Windows Insider program too. The phone had a large non-removable 3400 mAh Li-Ion battery (BV-4BW), which gave it slightly longer endurance compared to its contemporaries from Android and iOS.
The Lumia 1520 was initially released in Singapore, Hong Kong, the United States, France, China, Germany, Finland, Pakistan and India. In Australia, the Lumia 1520 was distributed exclusively through launch partner Harvey Norman. In the United States, AT&T was chosen as the sole carrier for the device. Production of the Lumia 1520 has been officially discontinued.
The Lumia 1520's IPS LCD display is the first Windows Phone display to have a resolution of 1080p, allowing it to have three columns of Live Tiles and is covered with by Gorilla Glass 2. At 6 inch, the display has a pixel density of 368 pixels per inch. The phone has a 2.2 GHz Snapdragon 800 SoC, and a 20 megapixel PureView camera. It has 4G LTE and near field communication connectivity, and comes with 32 GB of built-in memory, with a possible further 128 GB expansion via microSD. The Lumia 1520 has a 3,400 mAh battery and will be compatible with a US$99 DC-50 wireless-charging plate, with the phone itself to have a price of US$749.
Like the Lumia 1020 it takes a shareable 5Mpx picture and a 16Mpx picture that can only be accessed by attaching the handset into a PC, but only has 1/2.5" sensor size. Capable of 2x data binning lossless compression for taking photos and 4x for taking videos.
|Countries||International||China||Latin America||United States|
|2G||Quad-band GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)|
|3G||Quadband HSPA+ 1, 2, 5/6, 8
|Pentaband HSPA+ 1, 4, 5/6, 8|
(850/900/AWS/1900/2100 MHz)[note 1]
|4G||Pentaband LTE 1, 3, 7, 8, 20
(For RM-939, flash RM-937 firmware will unlock LTE frequencies)
|Pentaband LTE 2, 4, 5, 7, 17
|Pentaband LTE 2, 4, 5, 7, 17|
|Max network speed down/upload||LTE: 150/50 Mbit/s|
DC-HSPA+: 42.2/5.76 Mbit/s
|Internal Storage||32 GB||16 GB / 32 GB|
|Wireless Charging||Built in (Qi)||Requires case (PMA)|
- The RM-940 sold by AT&T does not ship with AWS HSPA+ connectivity support out of the box, but it can be obtained by using the official Lumia Denim update.
Andy Vandervell from TrustedReviews wrote: "The Lumia 1520 is a watershed phone in many respects. It brings Windows Phone hardware on par with the rest of the smartphone world, but the software still needs a bit of work."
Brad Molen from Engadget concludes: "The Lumia 1520 offers a Windows Phone experience unlike any we've seen before. With its top-notch hardware, fantastic imaging and constantly improving firmware, this is by far our favorite WP8 device."
The Nokia Lumia 1520 won the GSM Arena's Smartphone Champions League in 2013. Nokia captured the first 3 places with the Nokia Lumia 1020 in second place and the Nokia Lumia 520 tied for third with the LG Nexus 5.
Upon its release, the 1520 suffered from initial issues that had since been resolved. For example, early users reported a speaker overdrive issue with Windows Phone 8.1 version 5001. Users also reported random reboot issues, which Microsoft tried to address with a software update on 19 March 2014 to no avail but were able to resolve with an update on 19 June 2015.
One contentious issue was a supposed design flaw on the device's screen wherein the touch interface digitizer receives signals without user interaction on the touchscreen, resulting in "phantom touches".
Comparison between the Nokia Lumia 1520 and a €2 coin.
- Goodbye, Lumia 1520 as AT&T and Microsoft Stores stop selling the aging phablet | Windows Central
- Dolcourt, Jesscia. "Nokia Lumia 1520 specs". CNET. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- OET Exhibits List  ID=2085335
- Griffith, Chris (22 October 2013). "Nokia announces its first tablet, the Lumia 2520, and two 6-inch 'phablets'". The Australian. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- Stroh, Michael (22 October 2013). "Nokia goes big, introduces the Lumia 1520 and 1320 with 6-inch HD screens. Plus: Instagram is coming!". Windows Blogs. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Nokia Lumia 1520 Hands-On. Thenextweb.com. Retrieved on 22 October 2013.
- Harvey Norman AU. "Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows 8 P". Archived from the original on 19 December 2013.
- Byrne, Seamus (22 October 2013). "Nokia announces 6-inch Lumia 1520 Windows Phone". CNET. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Byford, Sam (22 October 2013). "AT&T is the exclusive carrier for Nokia's Lumia 1520, will also sell Lumia 2520 tablet". The Verge. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- "Detailed specifications for the Nokia Lumia 1520". Nokia. Retrieved 31 October 2013.
- Smith, Mat (22 October 2013). "Nokia Lumia 1520: Windows Phone with 6-inch 1080p display and 20MP camera for $750". Engadget. Archived from the original on 22 October 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Ghos, Shona (22 October 2013). "Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet arrives ahead of new iPad". PC Pro. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Seifert, Dan (22 October 2013). "Nokia introduces the Lumia 1520, its largest Windows Phone yet". The Verge. Archived from the original on 22 October 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Warren, Tom (22 October 2013). "Nokia Lumia 1520: a first look at a 6-inch giant Windows Phone". The Verge. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Daniel P. "Nokia Lumia 1520 specs review and sensor size comparison". Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Device details Nokia Lumia 1520". Nokia Developers. 22 October 2013. Archived from the original on 25 October 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Vandervell, Andy (2013-12-06). "Nokia Lumia 1520: Battery Life and Verdict". Trustedreviews.com. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Nokia Lumia 1520: Conclusion
- 3 January 2014, 23:59 by Peter 827 comments (2014-01-03). "Smartphone Champions League completes - meet the champion - GSMArena Blog". Blog.gsmarena.com. Retrieved 2014-02-14.
- Some Nokia Lumia 1520 owners report a Speaker Overdrive problem. WMPoweruser
- Firmware update for AT&T's Lumia 1520 available, should offer smoother performance
- Microsoft Outs Hotfix For Random Reboots Of AT&T Lumia 1520, Lumia 1020 And Lumia 830 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times
- "Lumia 1520 Screen Sensitivity". Microsoft. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nokia Lumia 1520.|