|Compatible networks||Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, EGSM 900, Dual-Band UMTS 900/2100 with HSDPA|
|First released||20 October 2008|
|Successor||Nokia N97 Mini|
Nokia N86 8MP
|Dimensions||110 x 49 x 15 mm|
|Mass||97 grams (3.4 oz)|
Nokia 3.5 mm AV Connector,
Hot swappable microSDHC
The Nokia N79 is a Symbian OS v9.3 smartphone and a member of the Nokia Nseries multimedia smartphone family running on S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2. It was officially announced by Nokia on 26 August 2008. The N79 is an advanced device with a 5 megapixel camera, dual LED flash, and GPS, with many improvements over the Nokia N78. It retailed for 350 euros upon release in October 2008.
The N79 has a somewhat more vibrant style compared to usual Nseries devices, with a rotated NOKIA logo (this would later appear on the Nokia N97). Nokia advertised the N79's bold-coloured Xpress-on covers which change the software's colour theme to the cover's. It was also slim by Nseries standards and considered to be attractive. Other features include a 2.4-inch display, 369 MHz ARM11 processor, physical keylock switch, FM transmitter and the Navi wheel.
On 14 January 2009, Nokia announced it would ship a sports edition, dubbed the N79 Active, that included a Bluetooth heart rate monitor, an armband and a new version of the Nokia Sports Tracker application.
- Automatically change from portrait to landscape with orientation sensor
- Automatically adjusts display brightness and keypad backlight with ambient light sensor
- Automatically change theme to the color of the battery cover
- Navigate using the NaviWheel
- Geotagging of captured pictures, videos and view them on a map
- Organize photos by albums and tags, as well as synchronize with PC
- Upload and share pictures and videos directly to Ovi and other webservices
- Audio is through standard 3.5 mm jack headphones, built-in 3D stereo speakers, FM transmitter or Bluetooth technology
- Digital music player with support for playlist editing, equalizer and categorized access to your music collection
- Synchronize and manage music with Nokia Music client
- Integrated FM transmitter and FM receiver
- Search, browse and purchase songs online in Nokia Music Store
Maps and Navigation:
- Built-in GPS with A-GPS support and integrated three months navigation license
- Multimedia city guides and navigation services available for purchase. Drive (voice guided car navigation) or Walk (pedestrian guidance for walking routes) modes.
- Full-screen video playback to view downloaded, streamed or recorded video clips
- Access internet video feeds through Nokia Video Center
- Access YouTube directly from your phone with integrated Flash Lite 3.0
- Transfer videos from compatible PC, using Hi-Speed USB 2.0 [Videos get converted automatically when drag-drop is used]
|Operating System||Symbian S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2|
|GSM frequencies||Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900, EGSM 900|
|GPRS||Yes class A, multislot class 11, maximum speed 85.6/64.2 kbit/s (DL/UL)|
|EDGE (EGPRS)||Yes class B, multislot class 32, maximum speed 296/177.6 kbit/s (DL/UL)|
|WCDMA||Yes 900/2100, maximum speed 384/384 kbit/s (UL/DL)|
|HSDPA||Yes, 3.6 Mbit/s (DL)|
|Screen||320 x 240 pixels (QVGA), diagonal 2.4"|
|CPU||Single CPU, ARM 11 369 MHz|
|Internal Dynamic Memory (RAM)||128 MB SDRAM|
|Internal Flash Memory||83 MB|
|Camera||5 megapixel camera(Auto Focus) with Dual LED flash, 20x digital zoom, Carl Zeiss Optics: Tessar lens|
|Camera Lens Cover||Yes, acting as camera on/off switch.|
|Video recording||Yes, Main MPEG-4 VGA (640x480) 30 frame/s; Sound – dual mono, 48 kHz; Secondary (front) camera – Up to 2x digital video zoom 352 x 288 pixels (CIF), up to 15 frame/s|
|Push to talk||Yes|
|Java support||Yes, CLDC 1.1, MIDP 2.1, PDA (JSR 75)|
|Memory card slot||Yes, microSDHC (up to 32 GB Micro SDHC)|
|Bluetooth||Yes, 2.0 with Enhanced Data Rate|
|Wi-Fi||Yes, WLAN IEEE 802.11 b/g with UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) & DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)|
|Data cable support||Yes, USB 2.0 via micro-USB interface with [USB mass storage device class]|
|Browser||Web Browser for S60 (Nokia Mini Map)|
|Radio||Yes, Stereo FM radio with Visual Radio support. FM radio 87.5-108 MHz with RDS support FM Transmitter 88.1 – 108 MHz|
|Video playback formats||MPEG4, AVC/H.264, WMV, RV, Flash Video, H.263/3GPP, RealVideo, with OMA DRM 2.0/1.0 & WMDRM support|
|Video streaming||MPEG4, AVC/H.264, WMV, RV, Flash Video, H.263/3GPP,|
|Audio playback formats||MP3/AAC/eAAC/eAAC+/WMA/M4A with playlists, with OMA DRM 2.0/1.0 & WMDRM support, Ogg with Symbian OggPlay, 24 hours+ playback|
|Integrated speakers||stereo speakers|
|TV out||Yes [Performance on device hampered]|
|HF speakerphone||Yes, with 3.5 mm audio jack and A2DP wireless stereo headphone support|
|Battery||Nokia Battery (BL-6F) 1200 mAh|
|Talk time(maximum)||GSM up to 5.5 hours – WCDMA up to 3.5 hours.|
|Standby time(maximum)||GSM up to 15.5 days – WCDMA up to 16.5 days – WLAN up to 7 days|
|Music playback time (maximum)||10 h|
|Gaming time (max)||9 h|
|SAR value||Type RM-348 N79 1.40 W/kg|
|Dimensions||110 x 49 x 15 mm|
|Navigation||Integrated GPS with A-GPS|
- "Device details". Nokia Developers. Archived from the original on 10 March 2013. Retrieved 10 February 2013.
- "Nokia N79 and N85 announced for October 08 release".
- "Nokia N79 – Hands-on Preview".
- "Nokia N79 (Unlocked) review: Nokia N79 (Unlocked)".
- "Nokia N79 review: Swiss Army knife".
- "Nokia N79 Active gets your heart racing". Nokia. 14 January 2009.