|Type||Virtual reality headset|
|Release date||30 November 2015|
|Introductory price||US$60,000 / €55,000|
|Discontinued||10 October 2017(headset)|
|Operating system||Windows and macOS|
|Mass||4.2 kg (9.3 lb) (inc. battery)|
The OZO is made of aluminium alloy and contains eight lenses and microphones which combined record stereoscopic (3D) 360-degree video and audio. Each lens has a 195-degree field of view, shooting at 30 frames per second. With a launch price of US$60,000 or €55,000, it is aimed at professional filmmakers. Disney for instance started to use OZO for filmmaking in April 2016.
As of September 2017, the price of OZO was $25,000/€23,500.
Nokia OZO came with OZO Remote that gives complete wireless control over your camera on-set or in the field. You can control camera settings, and monitor in real-time all eight of OZO’s lenses, or a single lens at a time.
Nokia OZO Creator lets you review and edit recorded footage to prepare files for post-production by seamlessly integrating with the industry standard editing. OZO Creator also enables VR creators with 2D and 3D 360 stitching functionality which includes a fast stitch option for quick review of dailies, and a high quality stitch option for getting ready for a final export.
The audio technology on the OZO, featuring binaural 360° audio capture and headphone + Bluetooth playback, was added to the Nokia 8 smartphone in 2017. In 2018 it also came to the Nokia 6 (2018), Nokia 7 plus and Nokia 8 Sirocco. In 2019, it was used on a non-Nokia smartphone for the first time, the Oppo Reno.
Nokia announced the end of the OZO headset in October 2017, citing a "slower-than-expected" virtual reality market, but continuing to support and update the software platform. In January 2018, Nokia licensed the OZO Live software to a new start-up called Imeve created by former employees working on OZO to continue development of the software.
- "Nokia OZO Launch Event". Second Story. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Lexy Savvides. "We took the $45,000 Nokia Ozo camera for a spin (hands-on)". CNET. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Newton, Casey. "Nokia reveals Ozo, a futuristic new camera for filming virtual reality". The Verge. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Reynolds, Matthew (18 March 2016). "Nokia OZO 360-degree camera launches in Europe for €55,000". Wired.co.uk. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Gartenberg, Chaim (25 April 2016). "Disney bets on Nokia's Ozo camera for the future of VR". The Verge. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Nokia OZO | Buy OZO online from the official Nokia store". store.ozo.nokia.com. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Nokia OZO web page".
- "Oppo Reno has Nokia's OZO Audio recording tech". gsmArena. 27 April 2019. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- Ong, Thuy (10 October 2017). "Nokia is killing off its Ozo virtual reality camera and cutting 310 jobs". The Verge.
- "Nokia updated OZO Player SDK to version 1.4.0". 5 November 2017.
- "Nokia OZO media technologies pivoting from VR to new applications - Nokia OZO". ozo.nokia.com.