National anthem of Cambodia
|Lyrics||Chuon Nath, 1949|
|Music||Norodom Suramarit / F. Perruchot / J. Jekyll, 1938|
21 September 1993
"Nokor Reach" (instrumental, two verses)
"Nokor Reach" originated from a folk poetry usually performed with chapei in ancient era for storytelling and to disclose any recent events.
The music of "Nokor Reach" was composed between 1938 and 1939 by Prince Norodom Suramarit during the reign of King Sisowath Monivong with help of Sir J.Jekyll and Sir F.Perruchot, both were Royal Palace's musical instructors. The lyrics were yet finished until 20 July 1941 by Choun Nath, a few months after King Norodom Sihanouk's coronation. In the same year it was adopted then reconfirmed in 1947 as a national anthem for the country.
In 1970, the monarchy was abolished, thereby replacing the state's national anthem as well. After the communists' victory in 1975, former royalist symbols, including "Nokor Reach", were reinstated for a short while. The Khmer Rouge then replaced it with "Dap Prampi Mesa Chokchey" ("Glorious Seventeenth of April"). After the royalist party FUNCINPEC defeated the former communists (Cambodian People's Party) in the 1993 elections, the royalist state anthem was restored.
"Nokor Reach" is a poem consisting of three verses and each verse consists of five lines.
Sūm buak debtā raksā mahāksatr yoeṅ
[soʊm puək teːpdaː rĕəʔaː mɔhaːkhsat jəːŋ]
May the Angels save our king
- "Anthem of the Khmer Republic" (Khmer Republic's national anthem [1970–1975])
- "Dap Prampi Mesa Chokchey" (Democratic Kampuchea's national anthem [1976–1979])
- National Anthem of Cambodia (1979–1989) (People's Republic of Kampuchea and revised as the State of Cambodia's national anthem [1979–1989]–[1989–1993])[a]
- National symbols of Cambodia
- Angkor Wat
- Palm Tree
- De facto with Nokor Reach since 1990.
- "The People's Republic of Kampuchea 1979 - 1989: A Draconian Savior?" (PDF). Ohio University. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Cambodia: "Nokor Reach" - Audio of the national anthem of Cambodia, with information and lyrics
- Nokor Reach Instrumental VDO clip on YouTube
- Nokor Reach with lyrics VDO clip on YouTube
- Cambodian National Anthem - The page "Cambodian View" includes a page about the anthem, which includes a vocal version of the anthem.