This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
August 1, 1979|
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
|Alma mater||University of British Columbia|
President and CEO - |
Sandstorm Metals & Energy
President - Nations Cry
Bear Creek Mining
|Children||Averie, Eliana, Kathie|
Nolan Watson (born August 1, 1979) is a Canadian businessman, humanitarian, and philanthropist. He is known for his contribution to finance innovation in the mining industry. Watson began working in mine finance with Silver Wheaton Corp., where he was named the Chief Financial Officer in 2006 and was the youngest CFO (age 26) of a New York Stock Exchange listed company. Watson helped develop the silver streaming business model and raise over $1 billion in debt and equity to fund Silver Wheaton’s growth into the largest streaming company in the world.
In 2008, Watson co-founded Sandstorm Resources Ltd. (now Sandstorm Gold Ltd.) and has sat as a member of the board of directors of Gold Wheaton Corp., Bear Creek Mining Corp. and True Gold Mining Inc. In addition to his work in the mining sector, Watson founded a Canadian Charitable organization called Nations Cry, which is dedicated to providing education to children in Sierra Leone, Africa.
Nolan Watson was born in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, where he grew up with his brother Andrew and his parents, Stuart and Linda. He attended Crescent Park Elementary School, later moving on to White Rock Christian Academy for secondary school, where he was the valedictorian of his graduating class.
Upon graduating with a Bachelor of Commerce degree (with honors) from the University of British Columbia in 2001, Watson enrolled in the Institute of Chartered Accountants and began articling with the professional services firm Deloitte and Touche. Watson was awarded the "BC Gold Medal" on the final CA examination, scoring the highest mark in Western Canada and becoming the Valedictorian of in the Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia. He went on to complete the Chartered Financial Analyst designation through the CFA Institute, and was later recognized as one of the "Most Motivated" CFA charterholders by CFA magazine. Although Watson’s area of focus during his time at Deloitte was mining and metals, he had not considered a career in the industry until he was given the opportunity to join Silver Wheaton alongside Ian Telfer, the highly regarded mining entrepreneur. Telfer’s new venture aimed to create the first ever ‘metal streaming company' by completing Volumetric Production Payment transactions. At 25 years of age, Watson became the Controller of Silver Wheaton and a short time later by the age of 26, was named Chief Financial Officer making him the youngest CFO of a multi-billion dollar market capitalization company listed on the New York Stock Exchange. In his four-year tenure with Silver Wheaton, Watson helped raise over US$1 billion in debt and equity to fund the organization’s growth to a multi-billion market capitalization.
With his experience at Silver Wheaton behind him, Watson decided to embark on a new venture with business partner David Awram, and created Sandstorm Resources, (now Sandstorm Gold), a metal streaming company focused on gold purchase agreements. Watson also currently sits on the board of directors for Bear Creek Mining Corp. and True Gold Mining Inc.
Amidst his business endeavors, Watson has always been a philanthropist at heart and in 2005 he founded Nations Cry, a Canadian charitable organization focused on providing world class education to underprivileged children in Africa. Nations Cry is a volunteer based organization with a financial structure such that 100% of all donations go directly to the end cause, helping the children who need it. Watson’s vision has led Nations Cry to Sierra Leone, a country that was marred by more than a decade of civil war ending in 2001.Nations Cry has completed two school building projects in Sierra Leone.
In February 2012, Watson gave a presentation at TEDxVancouver entitled, “Compassion Kills” arguing that more charities should focus on long-term sustainable solutions rather than meeting immediate needs.
- "Silver Wheaton Appoints Peter Barnes As President And Ceo And Elects New Directors". silverwheaton.com. April 20, 2006.
- "Early Achievement Award Winners". Beyond Numbers. June 2009.
- "The Silver Wheaton Success Story". northernminer.com. February 1–7, 2010.
- "Sandstorm Resources Announces Name Change to Sandstorm Gold". marketwire.com. February 17, 2011.
- "Gold Wheaton Management". goldwheaton.com. July 2010.
- "Bear Creek Mining Directors". bearcreekmining.com. July 2010.
- "True Gold Mining Directors". truegoldmining.com. March 2014.
- "Nations Cry About Us". nationscry.com. March 2014 2007. Check date values in:
- "The 2002 UFE Medallists". Beyond Numbers. January 2003.
- "Most Driven - Two Young Men in a Hurray Are Going Places Face". CFA Institute Magazine. November–December 2007.
- "Sandstorm Appoints Nolan Watson as President and Chief Executive Officer". sandstormresources.com. September 23, 2008.
- "Nations Cry". Nations Cry. March 2014.
- "Compassion Kills". TedxVancouver. February 2012.
- Moritsugu, John (April 14, 2010). "Sandstorm Targets More Than Precious Metals". Dow Jones News Service.
- Connor, Sean (May–June 2011). "Revamping an Industry". Advantage Magazine.
- Pett, David (September 13, 2011). "Commodity flow". Financial Post Magazine.
- Lee, Roger (April 19, 2011). "Changing the Financing Landscape of The Entire Mining Industry, Nolan Watson of Sandstorm". Startup3.0.
- Korstrom, Glen (January 2–8, 2007). "2006 BiV Forty under 40 Winners - B.C.'s brightest young business stars totally exposed". Business In Vancouver. Archived from the original on 2011-07-18.
- Edwards, Glen (October 16, 2012). "Gold streaming strategy creating rising cash flow". Business In Vancouver.
- Dolan, James (November 6, 2012). "Winner Profiles-Mining success". Business in Vancouver.
- Bernard, Michael (April 2, 2013). "Streaming Moves - Sandstorm Gold agreements propel mining companies forward". Business in Vancouver.
- Donville, Christopher (October 29, 2012). "Sandstorm Bets on Buying Not Finding Gas, Gold". Bloomberg.
- McRae, Michelle (January 2003). "The 2002 UFE Medallists". Beyond Numbers.
- McRae, Michelle (June 2009). "Early Achievement Award Winners". Beyond Numbers.
- West, James (June 25, 2009). "Sandstorm Resources and the Gold Royalty Model". Midas Letter.
- Keevil, Matthew (April 2, 2012). "Sandstorm Gold a rising star in commodity-stream financing". The Northern Miner.
- McLaren, Diana (April 29, 2011). "Nolan Watson, 31: mining CEO with a humanitarian heart". The Globe and Mail.
- Penner, Derrick (October 28, 2010). "B.C.'s top 100 companies, 2010: Resources drive top companies". Vancouver Sun.