|Current owner(s)||René Redzepi and Marc J. Blazer|
|Head chef||René Redzepi|
|Food type||New Nordic Cuisine influenced by molecular gastronomy; local food|
|Street address||Strandgade 93
1401 København K
Noma is a two-Michelin-star restaurant run by chef René Redzepi in Copenhagen, Denmark. The name is a portmanteau of the two Danish words "nordisk" (Nordic) and "mad" (food). Opened in 2003, the restaurant is known for its reinvention and interpretation of the Nordic Cuisine. In 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014, it was ranked as the Best Restaurant in the World by Restaurant magazine.
The restaurant is located in an old warehouse on the waterfront in the Christianshavn neighbourhood of central Copenhagen.
The building is situated by the Greenlandic Trading Square (Danish: Grønlandske Handels Plads), which for 200 years was a centre for trade to and from the Faroe Islands, Finnmark, Iceland, and in particular, Greenland. Dry fish, salted herring, whale oil and skins are among the goods that were stored in and around the warehouse before being sold off to European markets.
In 2003, the warehouse was turned into North Atlantic House, a centre for the art and culture of the North Atlantic region. Noma was opened at the same time by Redzepi and Claus Meyer.  The restaurant's interior is designed by Space Copenhagen.
Between 12 and 16 February 2013, 63 of 435 diners took ill after eating at Noma, according to a Danish Food Administration report. The symptoms were attributed to norovirus, which was believed to have been unintentionally spread by an infected kitchen employee.
Redzepi plans to close Noma after 31 December 2016 and reopen it in 2017 with an urban farm near Copenhagen.
The cuisine of Noma is Nordic/Scandinavian; the restaurant's founders René Redzepi and Claus Meyer have attempted to redefine this Nordic cuisine. Its cuisine can be considered more an interpretation of Nordic food than classical Nordic food itself, according to Meyer in the book Noma – Nordic Cuisine. Famous dishes include 'The Hen and the Egg'.
Redzepi formerly worked at restaurants including The French Laundry, elBulli, Kong Hans Kælder and Le Jardin des Sens. The Chef de cuisine is Daniel Giusti. Matt Orlando, who met Redzepi whilst working at The Fat Duck, left the restaurant in 2014 to open his own restaurant. The sommelier is Norwegian Mads Kleppe.
Awards and rankings
The Worlds 50 Best Restaurants
Noma won the Restaurant magazine award for The World's Best Restaurant three years in a row, from 2010 to 2012. It won the award again in 2014.
In 2010, the restaurant, as a relative newcomer, startlingly stole the crown that El Bulli had held for four consecutive years. This came soon after previous first and second place chefs Ferran Adria and Heston Blumenthal announced that they would be temporarily closing their restaurants. At the time, Noma was viewed as the head of a new movement to spread New Nordic cuisine.
In 2011, with El Bulli having withdrawn from the competition because they would be permanently closing, Noma was easily named the Best Restaurant for the second straight year. It was selected by a worldwide panel of journalists, chefs, restaurateurs, and food lovers. The restaurant continued its dominance without having earned a third Michelin Star.
In 2012, Redzepi won the award for Noma yet again, being praised by Restaurant as being "the standard bearer for the New Nordic movement" and winning respect for his attention to detail and innovative approach. His use of local and seasonal ingredients foraged from the seashore and forest was also recognized.
- 2007: #15 Best Restaurant in the World, World's 50 Best Restaurants
- Since 2008: Michelin Guide, two stars
- 2008: Redzepi named International Chef of the Year at the Lo Mejor de la Gastronomia conference in San Sebastian, Spain
- 2008: The users of the international website TripAdvisor rated Noma as the best restaurant in the world
- 2008: #10, 2008 World's 50 Best Restaurants
- 2009: #3 and "Chefs' Choice", 2009 World's 50 Best Restaurants
- 2010: Best Restaurant in the World, 2010 Restaurant magazine World's 50 Best Restaurants
- 2011: Best Restaurant in the World, 2011 Restaurant magazine World's 50 Best Restaurants
- 2012: Best Restaurant in the World, World's 50 Best Restaurants
- 2013: #2 Best Restaurant in the World, World's 50 Best Restaurants
- 2014: Best Restaurant in the World, World's 50 Best Restaurants
- 2015: #3 Best Restaurant in the World, World's 50 Best Restaurants
- 2016: #5 Best Restaurant in the World, World's 50 Best Restaurants
From 28 July to 6 August 2012, Noma decamped to London for a 10-day pop-up restaurant hosted by Claridge's hotel in Mayfair, while the restaurant in Copenhagen was closed from 22 July to 13 August for refurbishment. Redzepi, along with head chef Matt Orlando and staff from the restaurant, served up a £195-per-head nine-course menu that included their versions of scones and clotted cream, Lancashire hotpot with British ingredients, as well as live ants foraged in Denmark and flown to London.
On 29 March 2014, Noma announced that the restaurant would be relocating to Japan for two months in the beginning of 2015.
On 24 July 2015, Noma announced that the restaurant would be relocating to Australia for 10 weeks in the beginning of 2016.
- "Nordic Chef Explores Backyard". The New York Times. 6 July 2010.
- "Ny Nordisk Mad er usikker eksportvare – Videnskab.dk – May 10, 2010". Videnskab.dk. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- Wallop, Harry (26 April 2010). "Noma in Copenhagen named best restaurant in the world – April 26, 2010". The Daily Telegraph. London. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "The 2011 World's 50 Best Restaurants are…". CNN. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- . CNN.
- "North Atlantic House – A whiff of days gone by". North Atlantic House. Retrieved 21 May 2009.
- Kristinsdóttir, Signý. "The hub for North Atlantic culture". Nordic Style Magazine.
- "Noma founder Rene Redzepi: We went from zeros to heroes overnight". Metro. 13 November 2013.
- "Noma Restaurant by Space Copenhagen". Dezeen.com. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "63 guests take ill after eating at Noma". Politiken.dk (in Danish). 8 March 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Dinner at 'world's top' restaurant in Denmark sickens dozens". BBC. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- Hallock, Betty (9 March 2013). "Food FYI: Norovirus hits Noma; 63 sickened [updated]". Los Angeles Times.
- Abend, Lisa (10 March 2013). "When the World's Top Restaurant Serves Up a Bug". Time.
- Gordinier, Jeff (14 September 2015). "René Redzepi Plans to Close Noma and Reopen It as an Urban Farm". The New York Times. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "Manifesto for a New Nordic Cuisine". Food & Wine. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "The hen and the egg: René Redzepi's signature dish".
- Lander, Nicholas (6 May 2011). "There is nothing like a Dane: What distinguishes Noma is not just its inventiveness. Its location is wonderful too". Financial Times. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Topping, Alexandra (26 April 2010). "René Redzepi's Noma tops list of world's best restaurants". The Guardian. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Noma Named Best Restaurant in the World For 2nd Straight Year". The Huffington Post. 18 April 2011. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Denmark's Noma retains best restaurant title". news.com.au. 1 May 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "World's 50 Best Restaurants 2013: El Celler de Can Roca beats Noma". Bighospitality.co.uk. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "New Nordic Food ambassador wins prize". Nordic Council of Ministers. Retrieved 21 April 2009.
- "TripAdvisor ranking". Verygoodfood.dk. 21 July 2008. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- "The World's 50 Best Restaurants: 2010 List". Theworlds50best.com. 2010. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "The World's 50 Best Restaurants: 2011 List". Theworlds50best.com. 2011. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "The World's 50 Best Restaurants: 2012 List". Theworlds50best.com. 2012. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "The World's 50 Best Restaurants: 2013 List". Theworlds50best.com. 2013. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- "Noma: The World's 50 Best Restaurants". Theworlds50best.com. 2014. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Parts Unknown: Copenhagen, CNN, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, Season 2, Episode 4. 6 October 2013
- O' Ceallaigh, John (24 April 2012). "The 'world's best restaurant' comes to London: Copenhagen's Noma restaurant will decamp to Claridge's hotel this summer". The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Lisa, Markwell (1 August 2012). "World's best restaurant comes to town... and it's serving ants". The Independent. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Bazalgette, Peter (13 July 2012). "A nomadic Noma: The Copenhagen restaurant is hosting a 10-day London pop-up at Claridge's. Its crew will bring their own red seaweed oil, but many ingredients will be British". Financial Times. Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- "noma - japan". noma. 29 March 2014. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Lane Nieset (31 December 2015). "Jet-Set Bohemian: From Forest to Table". pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Noma.|