|Nomura Hōrudingusu kabushiki gaisha|
|Traded as||TYO: 8604|
TOPIX Core 30 Component
Financial Management Consulting
|Founded||December 25, 1925|
|Headquarters||1-9-1, Nihonbashi, Chuo, Tokyo, Japan|
(President and Group CEO)
|Revenue||¥1,385 billion (FY 2010)|
|¥1,130 billion (FY 2010)|
|¥28.661 billion (FY 2010)|
|AUM||¥24,743 billion (FY 2010)|
|Total assets||¥36,693 billion(FY 2010)|
|Total equity||¥2,091 billion (FY 2010)|
|Subsidiaries||Nomura Securities Co., Ltd.|
Nomura Asset Management Co., Ltd.
The Nomura Trust & Banking Co., Ltd.
Nomura Holdings, Inc. (野村ホールディングス株式会社 Nomura hōrudingusu kabushiki gaisha) is a Japanese financial holding company and a principal member of the Nomura Group. It, along with its broker-dealer, banking and other financial services subsidiaries, provides investment, financing and related services to individual, institutional and government customers on a global basis with an emphasis on securities businesses.
The history of Nomura begins on December 25, 1925, when the Nomura Securities Co., Ltd. (NSC) was established in Osaka, as a spin-off from Securities Dept. of Osaka Nomura Bank Co., Ltd (the present day Resona Bank). NSC initially focused on the bond market. It was named after its founder Tokushichi Nomura II, a wealthy Japanese businessman and investor. He had earlier established Osaka Nomura bank in 1918, based on the Mitsui zaibatsu model with a capital of ¥10 million. Like the majority of Japanese conglomerates, or zaibatsu, its origins were in Osaka, but today operates out of Tokyo. NSC gained the authority to trade stock in 1938, and went public in 1961.
Lehman Brothers Acquisition
In October 2008, Nomura acquired most of Lehman Brothers Asian operations together with its European equities and investment banking units to make one of the world's largest independent investment banks with Y20,300bn (£138bn) assets under management. In April 2009, the global headquarters for investment banking was moved out of Tokyo to London as part of a strategy to move the company's focus from Japan to global markets, with Josh Tokley appointed Head of UK Investments. Following his subsequent suspension, Tokley was replaced by Michael Coombs.
Nomura paid $225 million for the purchase of Lehman's Asian-Pacific unit. Due to large losses with shares dropping to their lowest level in nearly 37 years, Nomura cut around 5 percent of its staff in Europe (as many as 500 people) in mid-September 2011.
In September 2011, it was announced that Trent Martin was hired as a Vice President, Sales. In December 2012, Martin faced an extradition request in Hong Kong from USA for alleged insider-trading, securities fraud, and conspiracy to commit securities fraud. The extradition request was not contested.
Nomura Holdings and member companies
Nomura Holdings, Inc. is the holding company of the Nomura Group and the group's principal member. As a keiretsu, Nomura Holdings, Inc. does not directly run member companies, rather it keeps a controlling stake of cross shareholdings and manages financial assistance among member companies which help to deflect hostile takeovers.
- Nomura Holding America Inc., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Europe Holdings plc, operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Asia Holding N.V., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Securities Co., Ltd., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Asset Management Co., Ltd.
- The Nomura Trust & Banking Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Babcock & Brown Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Capital Investment Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Investor Relations Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Principal Finance Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Funds Research And Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Pension Support & Service Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Research & Advisory Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Business Services Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Satellite Communications Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Facilities, Inc.
- Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research
- Nomura Services India Pvt. Ltd.
- Nomura Healthcare
- Nomura Private Equity Capital
- Unified Partners
- Nomura Agri Planning & Advisory
Marketing and branding
The marketing slogan of Nomura is "Connecting Markets East & West".
- "Nomura Group - Products, Services & Solutions". Archived from the original on 2012-01-29. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Financial Highlights Year Ended march 31, 2011" (PDF). Nomura Holdings, Inc. April 28, 2011. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2011-09-27. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Forbes, Nomura Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: NMR) at A Glance". Archived from the original on 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Nomura Group Company history on Nomura Asia Pacific Webpage". Archived from the original on 2012-01-02. Retrieved 17 Jan 2012.
- "Nomura Group Company history on Nomura Holdings Inc. Webpage". Archived from the original on 2012-02-28. Retrieved 17 Jan 2012.
- "History of Nomura Securities Company, Limited from fundinguniverse.com". Retrieved 17 Jan 2012.
- "Nomura's founder, Tokushichi Nomura II from Nomura website" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 2012-02-29. Retrieved 19 Jan 2012.
- Nomura Buys Lehman's Europe Banking, Equities Units Archived 2010-06-13 at the Wayback Machine , Bloomberg, September 23, 2008
- "Nomura plans European staff cuts". September 14, 2011.
- "NOMURA - Nomura adds expertise to its expanding Australian equity business with four key senior hires". www.nomuraholdings.com. Archived from the original on 2018-02-17. Retrieved 2019-01-28.
- "Australian financial analyst to be extradited to US to face charges". The Sydney Morning Herald. 4 January 2013.
- "Group Companies - NOMURA". www.nomuraholdings.com. Archived from the original on 2018-12-12. Retrieved 2019-01-28.
- "Nomura Holdings, Inc. Info on Bloomberg Businessweek". Archived from the original on 2012-02-29. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Company Overview of Nomura Holding America, Inc". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2019-01-28.
- "Company Overview of Nomura Europe Holdings plc". www.bloomberg.com.
- "Company Overview of Nomura Asia Holding N.V." www.bloomberg.com.
- "Nomura - Marketing Slogan". Archived from the original on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-06-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nomura Holdings.|