|Traded as||TYO: 8604
Financial Management Consulting
|Founded||Osaka, Japan (December 25, 1925 )|
|Headquarters||1-9-1, Nihonbashi, Chuo, Tokyo, Japan|
|Revenue||¥1,385 billion (FY 2010)|
|¥1,130 billion(FY 2010)|
|¥28.661 billion(FY 2010)|
|AUM||¥24,743 billion(FY 2010)|
|Total assets||¥36,693 billion(FY 2010)|
|Total equity||¥2,091 billion (FY 2010)|
|Subsidiaries||Nomura Securities Co., Ltd.
Nomura Asset Management Co., Ltd.
The Nomura Trust & Banking Co., Ltd.
Nomura Holdings, Inc. (野村ホールディングス株式会社) is a Japanese financial holding company, and a principal member of the Nomura Group. It, along with its broker-dealer, banking and other financial services subsidiaries, provides investment, financing and related services to individual, institutional and government customers on a global basis with an emphasis on securities businesses. Michael Coombs is the head investment Banker.
In October 2008, the company acquired Lehman Brothers Holdings's investment banking and equities unit in Asia and Europe and kept on most of its employees. Nomura paid $225 million for the purchase of Lehman's Asian-Pacific unit. Due to big losses with shares dropping to their lowest level in nearly 37 years, Nomura cut around 5 percent of its staff in Europe (as many as 500 people) in mid-September 2011.
Origins to 2001
The history of Nomura begins on December 25, 1925, when the Nomura Securities Co., Ltd. (NSC) was established in Osaka, as a spin-off from Securities Dept. of Osaka Nomura Bank Co., Ltd (the present day Resona Bank). NSC initially focused on the bond market. It was named after its founder Tokushichi Nomura II, a wealthy Japanese stockbroking tycoon. He had earlier established Osaka Nomura bank in 1918, based on the Mitsui zaibatsu model with a capital of ¥10 million. Like the majority of Japanese conglomerate, or zaibatsu, its origins were in Osaka, but today operates out of Tokyo. NSC gained the authority to trade stock in 1938, and went public in 1961.
2001 to present
On October 1, 2001 Nomura adopt a holding company structure and Nomura Holdings, Inc. was established. Nomura made most of its profits in the Japanese retail banking market, but has expanded its international investment banking capabilities. Instinet Incorporated was acquired in February 2007.
In October 2008, Nomura acquired most of Lehman Brothers Asian operations together with its European equities and investment banking units to make one of the world's largest independent investment banks with Y20,300bn (£138bn) assets under management. In April 2009, the global headquarters for investment banking was moved out of Tokyo to London as part of a strategy to move the company's focus from Japan to global markets.
Nomura sponsors research at Oxford University into mathematical techniques for use in finance including stochastic analysis, option pricing, stochastic optimal control, interest rate modelling and through the Nomura Centre for Mathematical Finance
Nomura Holdings and Member companies
Nomura Holdings, Inc. is the holding company of the Nomura Group and the group's principal member. As a keiretsu, Nomura Holdings, Inc. does not directly run member companies, rather it keeps a controlling stake of cross shareholdings and manages financial assistance among member companies which help to deflect hostile takeovers.
- Nomura Holding America Inc., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Europe Holdings plc, operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Asia Holding N.V., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Securities Co., Ltd., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Asset Management Co., Ltd.
- The Nomura Trust & Banking Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Babcock & Brown Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Capital Investment Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Investor Relations Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Principal Finance Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Funds Research And Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Pension Support & Service Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Research & Advisory Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Business Services Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Satellite Communications Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Facilities, Inc.
- Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research
- Nomura Services India Pvt. Ltd.
- Nomura Healthcare
- Nomura Private Equity Capital
- Unified Partners
- Nomura Agri Planning & Advisory
Marketing and branding
The marketing slogan of Nomura is "Connecting Markets East & West".
- "Nomura Group -Management Structure".
- "Nomura Group - Board Of Directors".
- "Nomura Group - Executive Managing Directors".
- "Nomura Group - Products, Services & Solutions".
- "Financhal Highlights Year Ended march 31, 2011" (PDF). Nomura Holdings, Inc. April 28, 2011.
- "Forbes, Nomura Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: NMR) at A Glance".
- Nomura Buys Lehman's Europe Banking, Equities Units, Bloomberg, September 23, 2008
- "Nomura plans European staff cuts". September 14, 2011.
- "Nomura Group Company history on Nomura Asia Pacific Webpage". Retrieved 17 Jan 2012.
- "Nomura Group Company history on Nomura Holdings Inc. Webpage". Retrieved 17 Jan 2012. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "NomG-Hist-02" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Nomura's founder, Tokushichi Nomura II from Nomura website" (PDF). Retrieved 19 Jan 2012.
- "Nomura Securities Co., Ltd. Company info in LinkedIn". Retrieved 19 Jan 2012. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "NomG-08" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Nomura Company info in LinkedIn". Retrieved 19 Jan 2012. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "NomG-09" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Core members of Nomura Group
- Nomura Holdings, Inc. Info on Bloomberg Businessweek
- Nomura Holding America, Inc Info on Bloomberg Businessweek
- "Nomura - Marketing Slogan".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nomura Holdings.|