Non Resident Nepali
|Regions with significant populations|
|India||571,721 (2011 Indian census)|
720,892 (2011 Nepalese census)
|United Arab Emirates||125,258 (2008)|
|Australia||131,830 (2020) |
|United Kingdom||64,000 (2018)|
|United States||59,490 (2010)|
|Hong Kong||15,950 (2006)|
|Hinduism · Buddhism|
According to Non resident Nepali act, 2007 Non Resident Nepali (NRN) (Nepali: गैर आवासीय नेपाली, Gair Aawasiya Nepali) means the following:
(a) A person who currently holds citizenship of Nepal, who may or may not have acquired a citizenship of another country(s), who currently does not reside in Nepal for various reason.
(b) A former Nepalese citizen (भूतपूर्व नेपाली नागरिक/"Bhutpurba Nepali Nāgarik") means a person who once held a Nepalese citizenship (By birth, ancestry blood rights or by other means) and has denounced (legally) his/her Nepalese citizenship.
(c) Foreign citizen of Nepalese origin (नेपाली मूलको विदेशी नागरिक/"Nepali Mulko Bideshi Nāgarik") means a person who him/herself or whose father, mother, grandfather or grandmother was/were a citizen of Nepal at any time and has subsequently acquired the citizenship of any other foreign country other than a member country of the South Asian Association of Regional Co-operation (SAARC).
(d) Nepali citizen residing abroad (आप्रवासी नेपाली/"Aaprabashi Nepali") means a Nepali citizen who has been residing in any foreign country for at least two years by doing any profession, occupation, business and employment except a Nepalese citizen residing in a member country of SAARC or serving in a diplomatic mission or consulate situated in a foreign country under the assignment of the Government of Nepal.
(e) Person of Nepali origin is a person of Nepali origin or ancestry who was or whose ancestors were born in Nepal or other nations with Nepalese ancestry but is not a citizen of Nepal and is the citizen of another country. A person of Nepali origin might have been a citizen of Nepal and subsequently taken the citizenship of another country.
Other terms with vaguely the same meaning are Overseas Nepali, Nepali origin and Expatriate Nepali. In common usage, this often includes Nepali-born individuals (and also people of other nations with Nepalese ancestry) who have taken the citizenship of other countries. The majority of Non Resident Nepalese reside in India.
The Non Resident Nepali Association was established by the conference held by 11–14 October 2003 in Kathmandu, Nepal. The seventh NRNA global conference was held in 14–17 October 2017 in Kathmandu.
The mother tongue languages of Non Resident Nepalese are Nepali (Khas/ Gorkhali), Nepal Bhasa (Newar), Kirat and Limbuwan bhasa, Tamuwan (Gurung) and Magar bhasa, Maithili and Tharu bhasa, Sudurpaschimeli Khas bhasa.
NRN are opening business opportunities in Nepal by investing in various sectors such as banking, tourism, hotel, hydropower and many more.
- Amrita Acharia, actress
- Anish Giri, chess prodigy
- Balram Chainrai, businessman
- Bhaskar Thapa, Nepalese American architect
- Chandra Giri
- Daya Vaidya, actress
- Deepak Shimkhada
- Dichen Lachman, Australian actress
- Dipprasad Pun, military
- Dona Sarkar,
- Drona Prakash Rasali,
- Gaurika Singh, swimmer
- Hemant Mishra
- Jal Shah
- Jiba Lamichhane, businessman, writer
- Kiran Chetry, former CNN reporter
- Lujendra Ojha, scientist
- Manjushree Thapa, Canadian writer
- Payal Shakya, Miss Nepal
- Prabal Gurung, fashion designer
- Ram Pratap Thapa, Nepalese German diplomat
- Resh Marhatta, actor in Nepali film industry
- Samrat Upadhyay, author
- Shesh Ghale, businessman
- Shriya Shah-Klorfine
- Sofia Shah, Danish
- Sudarshan Gautam
- Shyam Upadhyaya
- Upendra Mahato, businessman
- Thapa, Deepak (28 January 2018). "Counting heads". The Kathmandu Post. Retrieved 20 April 2020.
- Abdul Kader, Binsal (17 May 2010). "Number of Nepalese in UAE steady". Gulf News. Retrieved 20 April 2020.
- "Migration, Australia Statistics onAustralia's international migration". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 27 April 2021.
- "Table 1.3: Overseas-born population in the United Kingdom, excluding some residents in communal establishments, by sex, by country of birth, January 2018 to December 2018". Office for National Statistics. 24 May 2019. Retrieved 19 April 2020. Figure given is the central estimate. See the source for 95% confidence intervals.
- "2017年度末在留外国人確定値" (PDF). Tokyo, Japan: Ministry of Justice. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2018-03-27. Retrieved 2018-04-13.
- "ASIAN ALONE OR IN COMBINATION WITH ONE OR MORE OTHER RACES, AND WITH ONE OR MORE ASIAN CATEGORIES FOR SELECTED GROUPS". United States Census Bureau. United States Department of Commerce. 2011. Archived from the original on 12 February 2020. Retrieved 25 December 2011.
- "Thematic Report: Ethnic Minorities" (PDF). Publications and Products of the 2006 Population By-census. Census and Statistics Department, Hong Kong (xvi). 2007-12-28. Retrieved 2008-01-23.