Non al denaro non all'amore né al cielo
|Non al denaro non all'amore né al cielo|
|Studio album by Fabrizio De André|
|Fabrizio De André chronology|
Non al denaro non all'amore né al cielo (Neither to money, nor to love, nor to Heaven) is an album released by Fabrizio De André. It was issued in 1971 by Produttori Associati and reissued several times by Ricordi and BMG. It is a concept album based on the Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. The co-author of the music is composer Nicola Piovani, who later won an Academy Award for his soundtrack for Roberto Benigni's Life is beautiful. The title itself is a citation from the first poem in the Spoon River Anthology, The Hill:
- Drinking, rioting, thinking neither of wife nor kin,
- Nor gold, nor love, nor heaven?
- "La collina" (The Hill) (4:03)
- "Un matto (dietro ogni scemo c'è un villaggio)" (A Madman) (2:35)
- "Un giudice" (A Judge) (2:55)
- "Un blasfemo (dietro ogni blasfemo c'è un giardino incantato)" (A Blasphemer) (2:59)
- "Un malato di cuore" (A Sufferer of Heart) (4:18)
- "Un medico" (A Doctor) (2:39)
- "Un chimico" (A Chemist) (3:00)
- "Un ottico" (An Optician) (4:35)
- "Il suonatore Jones" (Fiddler Jones) (4:25)
Each song is based on a poem from the Spoon River Anthology.
- "La collina" is based on "The Hill", listing various people who are buried in the imaginary Spoon River churchyard and stating that "All are sleeping on the Hill".
- "Un matto" is based on "Frank Drummer", in which a man memorizes the Encyclopædia Britannica and is considered crazy by the people of Spoon River.
- "Un Giudice" is based on Selah Lively, the story of a midget who studies law and becomes a judge to get revenge on the people who made fun of him all his life.
- "Un blasfemo" is based on "Wendell P. Bloyd", a non-believer who practices blasphemy and keeps on not believing even when, after his death, he is welcomed into the Garden of Eden.
- "Un malato di cuore" is based on "Francis Turner", in which a man dies of a heart attack while giving his first kiss.
- "Un medico" is based on "Dr. Siegfried Iseman", the story of a doctor who wants to cure poor people without receiving payment.
- "Un chimico" is based on "Trainor, the Druggist", in which a chemist, who doesn't understand romantic relationships but instead loves the chemical elements, dies while executing an experiment.
- "Un ottico" is based on "Dippold the Optician", the story of an optician who wants to create special glasses which project strange visions.
- "Il suonatore Jones" is based on "Fiddler Jones".