None but the Lonely Heart (Tchaikovsky)
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky composed a set of six romances for voice and piano, Op. 6, in late 1869; the last of these songs is the melancholy "None but the Lonely Heart" (Russian: Нет, только тот, кто знал, Net, tol'ko tot, kto znal), a setting of Lev Mei's poem "The Harpist's Song," which in turn was translated from Goethe's Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship.
Tchaikovsky dedicated this piece to Alina Khvostova. The song was premiered by Russian mezzo-soprano Yelizaveta Lavrovskaya in Moscow in 1870, following it with its St. Petersburg premiere the following year during an all-Tchaikovsky concert hosted by Nikolai Rubinstein; the latter was the first concert devoted entirely to Tchaikovsky's works.
Mei's Russian translation (transliteration):
Goethe's German original:
An English translation:
- Mario Lanza (in English)
- Frank Sinatra, on the compilation albums The Columbia Years 1943–1952: The Complete Recordings and The Columbia Years 1943–1952: The V-Discs (in English)
- Leonard Warren (in English)
- Lawrence Tibbett (in English)
- Rosa Ponselle (with German text)
- Elisabeth Schwartzkopf (with German text)
- Fritz Wunderlich (with German text)
- Boris Christoff (with Russian text)
- Placido Domingo and Itzhak Perlman (with Russian text)
- Christian Ketter and Cara Schlecker (with Russian text)
- Dmitri Hvorostovsky (with Russian text)
- Pavel Lisitsian (with Russian text)
The Spike Jones number "None But the Lonely Heart (A Soaperetta)" begins with a brief instrumental version of the tune before the spoken dialogue.
This article needs more complete citations for verification. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Brown, Early Years, 214—215; Warrack, 59.
- Spencer, New Grove (1980) 10:556.
- www.amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/None-But-The-Lonely-Heart/dp/B0034J44BK. Retrieved 2018-12-08. Missing or empty
- Leonard Warren; Willard Sektberg; Tchaikovsky; Arthur Westbrook (1948), None But the Lonely Heart, Internet Archive, RCA Victor, retrieved 2018-12-08
- "Lawrence Tibbett - None But The Lonely Heart / Myself When Young". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "Rosa Ponselle - On The Air Volume 2". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "Elisabeth Schwarzkopf - In Songs You Love". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "Fritz Wunderlich - Ombra Mai Fu / Es Muß Ein Wunderbares Sein / Caro Mio Ben / Nur Wer Die Sehnsucht Kennt". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- "IDAGIO". IDAGIO. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- www.amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Op-lonely-Goethe-trans/dp/B0711VQJBV. Retrieved 2018-12-08. Missing or empty
- Beloved: Christian Ketter, Cara Schlecker & Myron Silberstein Live in Recital by Christian Ketter, Cara Schlecker & Myron Silberstein, retrieved 2018-12-08
- "Dmitri Hvorostovsky. Romances of russian composers (3 CD) - AudioCD - купить онлайн". ruslania.com. Retrieved 2018-12-08.
- www.amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Net-Tolko-Znal-Only-Knew/dp/B0032127KK. Retrieved 2018-12-08. Missing or empty
- Brown, David, Tchaikovsky: The Early Years, 1840–1874 (New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 1978). ISBN 0-393-07535-2.
- Spencer, Jennifer, ed. Stanley Sadie, "Lavrovskaya [Lawrowska], Yelizaveta Andreyevna," The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (London: Macmilian, 1980). ISBN 0-333-23111-2.
- Warrack, John, Tchaikovsky (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1973). SBN 684-13558-2.