|Established||1 January 1962|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Aucke van der Werff (CDA)|
|• Total||593.47 km2 (229.14 sq mi)|
|• Land||458.17 km2 (176.90 sq mi)|
|• Water||135.30 km2 (52.24 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−3 m (−10 ft)|
|• Density||102/km2 (260/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Noordoostpolder (Dutch: [ˈnoːrtoːstˌpɔldər] (listen); English: "North-East Polder") is a polder and municipality in the Flevoland province in the central Netherlands. Formerly, it was also called Urker Land. Emmeloord is the administrative center, located in the heart of the Noordoostpolder.
For history, see Zuiderzee Works.
The former island of Schokland is now a museum.
The town and former island of Urk, in the southwest, now surrounded by the Noordoostpolder, is a separate municipality.
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Noordoostpolder, June 2015
There are no railway stations in the Noordoostpolder, but the nearest stations are in Kampen, Steenwijk and Lelystad. From 9 December 2012, with the opening of the Hanzelijn, Dronten and Kampen Zuid, will be even closer.
UNESCO World Heritage sites
UNESCO World Heritage sites located in/near the Noordoostpolder:
- Schokland and Surroundings (municipality Noordoostpolder)
- Ir.D.F. Woudagemaal (D.F. Wouda Steam Pumping Station), Lemmer (mun. Lemsterland)
- David T. Runia (born 1951 in Noordoostpolder) a Dutch-Australian classical scholar and educational administrator
- Aucke van der Werff (born 1953 in Schettens) politician, current Mayor of Noordoostpolder
- Rien van der Velde (born 1957 in Nagele) a Dutch politician
- Stef Blok (born 1964 in Emmeloord) accountant and politician, Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Marriët Schuurman (born 1969 in Creil) the current Dutch Human Rights' Ambassador
- Ernst Meisner (born 1982 in Noordoostpolder) a Dutch dancer and choreographer
- Annamarie Thomas (born 1971 in Emmeloord) a Dutch former speed skater
- Rob Wielaert (born 1978 in Emmeloord) a Dutch footballer
- Diederik Boer (born 1980 in Emmeloord) a Dutch football goalkeeper.
- Orlando Wirth (born 1981 in Emmeloord) a Dutch footballer
- Tjeerd Korf (born 1983 in Emmeloord) a Dutch former professional footballer
- Corinne Nugter (born 1992 in Emmeloord) a Dutch athlete specialising in the discus throw
- Femke Beuling (born 1999 in Emmeloord) a Dutch speed skater
- "Samenstelling college" [Member of the executive board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Noordoostpolder. Archived from the original on 15 November 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 8302BW". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.