January 13, 1951 |
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Inequality and Poverty
Latin American Economics
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Nora Lustig (born January 13, 1951) is the Samuel Z. Stone Professor of Latin American Economics in the Department of Economics at Tulane University and a non-resident Fellow at the Center for Global Development and the Inter-American Dialogue.
Nora Lustig was born and raised in Buenos Aires, Argentina and has spent most of her adult life in the United States and Mexico. She received her doctorate in Economics from the University of California, Berkeley.
Career and awards
Lustig was the lead author of the World Development Report 2000/1 “Attacking Poverty” (World Bank),. Analyzing the dynamics of the Mexican economy has been the other main focus of her research. Her study Mexico, the Remaking of an Economy (Brookings Institution, 1992 and 1998) was selected by Choice magazine as an Outstanding Academic Book.
As co-founder and president of LACEA (Latin American and Caribbean Economic Association), she played a pivotal role[according to whom?] in the creation and consolidation of the leading association of economists focused on Latin America, the launching of LACEA’s journal Economia and the organization of LACEA’s Network on Inequality and Poverty. She is affiliated with the Inter-American Dialogue, the Earth Institute and the Institute of Development Studies.
From 2001 to 2005, she served as rector of the University of the Americas (UDLAP) in Puebla, Mexico. She is also a Non-Resident Senior Fellow & a Project Director for the Commitment to Equity at the Inter-American Dialogue.
- Lustig, Nora, ed. (1998) . Mexico the remaking of an economy (2nd ed.). Washington, D.C: Brookings Institution Press. ISBN 9780585259178.
- Lustig, Nora, ed. (1995). Coping with austerity: poverty and inequality in Latin America. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press. ISBN 9780815753179.
- Lustig, Nora; Edwards, Sebastian, eds. (1997). Labor markets in Latin America combining social protection with market flexibility. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press. ISBN 9780585341217.
- Lustig, Nora, ed. (2001). Shielding the poor: social protection in the developing world. Washington, D.C.: Brookings Institution Press and the Inter-American Development Bank. ISBN 9780815753216.
- Lustig, Nora; Bourguignon, François; Ferreira, Francisco (2005). "The microeconomics of income distribution dynamics: in East Asia and Latin America". Washington, DC New York: World Bank Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780821358610.
- Lustig, Nora; López-Calva, Luis F., eds. (June 2010). Declining inequality in Latin America: a decade of progress?. Washington D.C.: Brookings Institution Press and UNDP. ISBN 9780815704102. Table of contents. Sample chapter. Available online.
Tulane economics working paper series
Papers for Tulane economics working paper series, Tulane University.
- Lustig, Nora (May 2009). Coping with rising food prices: policy dilemmas in the developing world (pdf). wp0907.
- Lustig, Nora; Gasparini, Leonardo (February 2011). The rise and fall of income inequality in Latin America (pdf). wp1110.
- Lustig, Nora (February 2011). The knowledge bank and poverty reduction (pdf). wp1111.
- Lustig, Nora; Ros, Jamie (February 2011). Latin America's economic challenges: lessons for emerging economies (pdf). wp1112.
- Lustig, Nora; McLeod, Darryl (March 2011). Inequality and poverty under Latin America's new left regimes (pdf). wp1117.
- Lustig, Nora; López-Calva, Luis F.; Ortiz-Juarez, Eduardo (April 2011). The decline in inequality in Latin America: how much, since when and why (pdf). wp1118.
- Lustig, Nora; Birdsall, Nancy; McLeod, Darryl (May 2011). Declining inequality in Latin America: some economics, some politics (pdf). wp1120.
- Lustig, Nora (June 2011). Scholars who became practitioners: the influence of research on the design, evaluation and political survival of Mexico's anti-poverty program Progresa/Oportunidades (pdf). wp1123.
- Lustig, Nora (June 2011). Multidimensional indices of achievements and poverty: what do we gain and what do we (pdf). wp1121.
- Lustig, Nora (July 2011). Commitment to Equity Assessment (CEQ): a diagnostic framework to assess governments' fiscal policies handbook (pdf). wp1122.
- Lustig, Nora; Pessino, Carola; Molina, George Gray; Jimenez, Wilson; Paz, Veronica; Yanez, Ernesto; Pereira, Claudiney; Higgins, Sean (October 2011). Fiscal policy and income redistribution in Latin America: challenging the conventional wisdom (pdf). wp1124.
- Lustig, Nora; Campos, Raymundo; Esquivel, Gerado (January 2012). The rise and fall of income inequality in Mexico, 1989–2010 (pdf). wp1201.
Other articles and papers
- Lustig, Nora (Fall 2000). "Crises and the poor: socially responsible macroeconomics". Economía, The Journal of the Latin American and Caribbean Economic Association. Brookings Institution Press. 1 (1): 1–45. SSRN . doi:10.1353/eco.2000.0009. Pdf.
- Lustig, Nora (Winter 2001). "Life is not easy: Mexico's quest for stability and growth". The Journal of Economic Perspectives. American Economic Association. 15 (1): 85–106. JSTOR 2696542. doi:10.1257/jep.15.1.85. Pdf.
- Lustig, Nora (November 2008). "Thought for food: the challenges of coping with soaring food prices". Washington D.C.: Center for Global Development. wp155. Pdf.
- "Inter-American Dialogue | Nora Lustig". www.thedialogue.org. Retrieved 2017-04-12.