Nora Springs, Iowa
|Nora Springs, Iowa|
Location of Nora Springs, Iowa
|Counties||Floyd, Cerro Gordo|
|• Total||2.22 sq mi (5.75 km2)|
|• Land||2.19 sq mi (5.67 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2)|
|Elevation||1,086 ft (331 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,407|
|• Density||653.4/sq mi (252.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0459546|
Nora Springs is located at (43.144010, -93.008929).
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,431 people, 577 households, and 388 families residing in the city. The population density was 653.4 inhabitants per square mile (252.3/km2). There were 636 housing units at an average density of 290.4 per square mile (112.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 99.1% White, 0.1% African American, 0.2% Asian, 0.1% from other races, and 0.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.4% of the population.
There were 577 households of which 32.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.9% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 32.8% were non-families. 28.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.91.
The median age in the city was 41.2 years. 24% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.3% were from 25 to 44; 27.5% were from 45 to 64; and 18% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.0% male and 51.0% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,532 people, 597 households, and 401 families residing in the city. The population density was 700.5 people per square mile (270.1/km²). There were 629 housing units at an average density of 287.6 per square mile (110.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.54% White, 0.07% African American, 0.13% Native American, 0.07% from other races, and 0.20% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.85% of the population.
There were 597 households out of which 31.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.9% were married couples living together, 7.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.8% were non-families. 29.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.95.
24.0% are under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 26.6% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 18.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 95.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $34,926, and the median income for a family was $43,516. Males had a median income of $28,043 versus $21,536 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,246. About 3.0% of families and 5.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 7.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Arthur Gratias, Iowa State Senator, farmer, and educator, was born in Nora Springs.
- John P. Gregg LSU college football coach, Wisconsin quarterback, and died in Nora Springs.
- Louis Bauman Brethren, minister, writer, and Bible conference speaker, and was born in Nora Springs.
- Yodelin' Tommy Floyd Yodeler, Television Pioneer, Disc Jockey, was born Nora Springs. 
Nora Springs Buffalo Days
The last week of June always marks a large celebration, Nora Springs Buffalo Days. Festivities include an impressive parade, entertainment in the park, food vendors, and inflatable rides. Other activities include a 5K Run/Walk and Bingo. There is a Softball Tournament held at the Nora Springs Intermediate School. At the Fire Department the Fireman's Ball is held from 9 p.m. to 1 a.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Iowa General Assembly-Arthur L. Gratias
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nora Springs, Iowa.|
- Nora Springs Homepage
- City-Data Comprehensive statistical data and more about Nora Springs
- History of Iowa From the Earliest Times to the Beginning of the Twentieth Century - Floyd County