Norbert Pohlmann (born 20 March 1960 in Ratingen, West Germany) is a computer scientist and a professor at the Westphalia University of Applied Sciences Gelsenkirchen.
He was Managing Director at KryptoKom (Company for information security and communication technology) from 1988 to 1999. After merger with Utimaco Safeware AG he was a member of the Utimaco Safeware AG management board from 1999 to 2003. Since 2003 Norbert Pohlmann has been Professor in the Computer Science Department for distributed systems and information security and director of the Institute for Internet Security at the Westphalia University of Applied Sciences Gelsenkirchen in Germany.
He is one of the founders of the IT Security Association TeleTrusT (which establishes reliable conditions for the trustworthy application of information- and communication technologies) where he has been member of the board since 1994 and chairman of the board since April 1998. Norbert Pohlmann has been one of the initiators of the "Information Security Solutions Europe" (ISSE) and chairman of the ISSE program committee of the ISSE conference.
In addition to that he is also a member of the board eco (Association of the Internet Industry) as well as a member of the academic council of the GDD (The German Association for Data Protection and Data Security). He used to be a member of the Permanent Stakeholders' Group of the ENISA (European Union Agency for Network and Information Security) from 2005 to 2010.
In the summer term 2013 Prof. Pohlmann was a Visiting Professor at Stanford University.
Awards and honors
- Rudolf-Thoma Prize of VDE (Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technology) for the best final grade in the graduation year 1985
- 1997 City of Aachen’s Prize for Innovation and Technology for his scientific and entrepreneurial performance.
- 2011 Professor of the Year in the category "Engineering / Informatics", awarded by the German students magazine Unicum.
- Firewall Architecture for the Enterprise, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, USA, 2002 ISBN 0-7645-4926-X.
- Firewall-Systeme - Sicherheit für Internet und Intranet, E-Mail-Security, Virtual Private Network, Intrusion Detection System, Personal Firewalls MITP-Verlag, Bonn 2003 ISBN 3-8266-0988-3.
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) MITP-Verlag, Bonn 2003 ISBN 3-8266-0882-8
- Der IT-Sicherheitsleitfaden MITP-Verlag, Bonn 2006 ISBN 3-8266-1635-9
- Sicher im Internet: Tipps und Tricks für das digitale Leben orell füssli Verlag, Zürich 2010 ISBN 978-3-280-05381-2