Based in London since 1989, he spent the early 1990s experimenting with layered imaging and digital post production, primarily in The Face. His work has since been published in NY Times magazine,Vogue, and Another Magazine. His advertising campaigns have included Comme des Garçons, Swarovski, Shiseido, Prada, and Lacoste.
Schoerner’s photographic and multi-media works have been featured in numerous group shows such as: photo50 (London Art Fair, 2010), You Dig the Tunnel – I’ll Hide the Soil (White Cube, London, 2008), Cities: People, Architecture and Society (La Biennale, Venice, 2006), I Shot Norman Foster at the Architecture Foundation (London, 2005), and JAM: Tokyo-London (Tokyo Opera City, 2002). His most recent exhibition 'Daydreaming with Stanley Kubrick' Somerset House, London (2016)  features a 360° VR installation inspired by Kubrick's seminal work 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Solo exhibitions have been held at Comme des Garçons (with The Face, Aoyama, Tokyo, 1995), Chapman Fine Arts (London, 2001), SDLX (Tokyo, 2004) and Museum 52 (London, 2004). In 2005, Schoerner had a mini-retrospective at the photography festival in Hyères, France for which he created The Court, an interactive and site-specific interpretation of the very notion of “retrospective”.
Schoerner's book The Order of Things was published by Phaidon in 2002. He has collaborated with Jake and Dinos Chapman, and contributed to books such as The Impossible Image: Fashion Photography in the Digital Age (Phaidon, 2000), Apocalypse (Royal Academy, London, 2000), Hell (Jake and Dinos Chapman, Saatchi Gallery, 2003), and Beauty in Vogue (Condé Nast, 2007). In 2010 he created a photographic essay for the Artangel commissioned Victoria and Albert Museum project The Concise Dictionary of Dress (Violette Editions).
In 2011 Dazed & Confused Magazine's 20th anniversary exhibition highlighted Schoerner's iconic 2001 editorial collaboration with Alexander McQueen in the form of an installation consisting of floor to ceiling vinyl reprints. The series is also featured in the accompanying book Dazed & Confused: Making It Up As We Go Along (Rizzoli, 2011). A new monograph titled Third Life was published by Violette Editions in 2012. Claire de Rouen Books recently published a collaborative book between Schoerner and Steve Nakamura on the subject of food titled Nearly Eternal.
- Paul Jobling, "Fashion spreads: word and image in fashion photography since 1980", p.36, Berg Publishers, 1999
- New York Times, "Contributors"
- "I Shot Norman Foster", The Architecture Foundation exhibition notice. Accessed 14 March 2009.
- "Paul McCarthy spread" , AnOther Mag, A/W 02
- Hélène Guillaume, "Champions d'hier, icônes d'aujourd'hui", Le Figaro, October 2007.
- "photo50", London Art Fair exhibition notice.
- "You Dig the Tunnel, I'll Hide the Soil, White Cube, Hoxton Square and Shoreditch Town Hall", White Cube exhibition notice. Accessed 14 March 2009.
- "Cities: People, Society, Architecture", 10th International Architecture Exhibition - Venice Biennale, Catalogue edited by Richard Burdett, ISBN 978-0-8478-2879-1. Accessed 27 March 2009
- "JAM: Tokyo-London" Tokyo Opera City exhibition notice.
- Carol Kino, "Review of Chapman Fine Arts show", Art in America, October 2002.
- "the kingdom" SDLX exhibition notice
- "Artist info" Museum 52, 2004
- "Hyères catalogue", text by Stephen Tateishi, p.15.
- "Disasters of War: Francisco de Goya, Henry Darger, Jake and Dinos Chapman", P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center exhibition notice. Accessed 14 March 2009.
- "Apocalypse - introduction", Apocalypse ( contributors), Eyestorm, London, 2000. Accessed 16 March 2009.
- "Violette Editions", The Concise Dictionary of Dress.
- "Violette Editions", Third Life. Accessed 19 January 2012.
- "Nearly Eternal". Claire de Rouen Books. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- Schoerner's site
- Nearly Eternal review on The New York Times
- Photographs by Schoerner at The Guardian
- Festival International de Mode et de Photographie à Hyères. Requires Flash.
- Archeology of Elegance. 1980 - 2000. 20 Jahre Modephotographie" Deichtorhallen (Hamburg) exhibition notice. (in German)
- The Concise Dictionary of Dress on Violette Editions
- Third Life on Violette Editions