|Initial release||February 13, 2012|
|Stable release||Android 5.13.0 (May 16, 2022) |
|Type||Virtual private network|
|License||Commercial proprietary software|
NordVPN is a VPN service with applications for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and Android TV. Manual setup is available for wireless routers, NAS devices, and other platforms.[which?]
NordVPN is developed by Nord Security, a company that creates cybersecurity software and was initially supported by the Lithuanian startup accelerator and business incubator Tesonet. NordVPN operates under the jurisdiction of Panama, as the country has no mandatory data retention laws and does not participate in the Five Eyes or Fourteen Eyes intelligence sharing alliances. Its offices are located in Lithuania, the United Kingdom, Panama and the Netherlands.
NordVPN was established in 2012 by a group of childhood friends which included Tom Okman. Late in May 2016, it presented an Android app, followed by an iOS app in June the same year. In October 2017, it launched a browser extension for Google Chrome. In June 2018, the service launched an application for Android TV. As of June 2021, NordVPN was operating 5,600 servers in 59 countries.
In March 2019, it was reported that NordVPN received a directive from Russian authorities to join a state-sponsored registry of banned websites, which would prevent Russian NordVPN users from circumventing state censorship. NordVPN was reportedly given one month to comply, or face blocking by Russian authorities. The provider declined to comply with the request and shut down its Russian servers on April 1. As a result, NordVPN still operates in Russia, but its Russian users have no access to local servers.
In September 2019, NordVPN announced NordVPN Teams, a VPN solution aimed at small and medium businesses, remote teams and freelancers, who need secure access to work resources. Two years later, NordVPN Teams rebranded as NordLayer and moved towards SASE business solutions. The press sources quoted the market rise in SASE technology as one of the key factors in the rebrand.
On October 29, 2019, NordVPN announced additional audits and a public bug bounty program. The bug bounty was launched in December 2019, offering researchers monetary rewards for reporting critical flaws in the service.
In December 2019, NordVPN became one of the five founding members of the newly formed 'VPN Trust Initiative', promising to promote online security as well as more self-regulation and transparency in the industry. In 2020, the initiative announced 5 key areas of focus: security, privacy, advertising practices, disclosure and transparency, and social responsibility.
In August 2020, Troy Hunt, an Australian web security expert and founder of Have I Been Pwned?, announced a partnership with NordVPN as a strategic advisor. On his blog, Hunt described this role as "work with NordVPN on their tools and messaging with a view to helping them make a great product even better."
In October 2020, NordVPN started rolling out its first colocated servers in Finland to secure the hardware perimeter. The RAM-based servers are fully owned and operated by NordVPN in an attempt to keep full control.
In April 2022, NordVPN's parent company Nord Security raised $100 million in a round of funding led by Novator. The company's valuation reached $1.6 billion.
NordVPN routes all users' internet traffic through a remote server run by the service, thereby hiding their IP address and encrypting all incoming and outgoing data. For encryption, NordVPN has been using the OpenVPN and Internet Key Exchange v2/IPsec technologies in its applications and also introduced its proprietary NordLynx technology in 2019. NordLynx is a VPN tool based on the WireGuard protocol, which aims for better performance than the IPsec and OpenVPN tunneling protocols. According to tests performed by Wired UK, NordLynx produces "speed boosts of hundreds of MB/s under some conditions."
In April 2020, NordVPN announced a gradual roll-out of the WireGuard-based NordLynx protocol on all its platforms. The wider implementation was preceded by a total of 256,886 tests, which included 47 virtual machines on nine different providers, in 19 cities, and eight countries. The tests showed higher average download and upload speeds than both OpenVPN and IKEv2. 
NordVPN has desktop applications for Windows, macOS, and Linux, as well as mobile apps for Android and iOS and Android TV app. Subscribers also get access to encrypted proxy extensions for Chrome and Firefox browsers. Subscribers can connect up to six devices simultaneously.
In 2021, NordVPN completed an application security audit, carried out by a security research group VerSprite. VerSprite performed penetration testing and, according to the company, found no critical vulnerabilities. One flaw and a few bugs that were found in the audit have since been patched.
In December 2020, NordVPN started a network-wide rollout of 10 Gbit/s servers, upgrading from the earlier 1 Gbit/s standard. The company's servers in Amsterdam and Tokyo were the first to support 10 Gbit/s, and by December 21, 2020, over 20% of the company's network had been upgraded.
Besides general-use VPN servers, the provider offers servers for specific purposes, including P2P sharing, double encryption, and connection to the Tor anonymity network. NordVPN offers three subscription plans: monthly, yearly and bi-yearly.
NordVPN also develops CyberSec for Windows, macOS, and Linux platforms, a security feature that works as an ad-blocker and also automatically blocks websites known for hosting malware.
In November 2020, NordVPN launched a feature that scans the dark web to determine if a user's personal credentials have been exposed. When the Dark Web Monitor feature finds any leaked credentials, it sends a real-time alert, prompting the user to change the affected passwords.
In February 2022, NordVPN introduced an antivirus functionality available as part of the regular VPN license. The opt-in Threat Protection feature blocks web trackers, warns users about malicious websites, and blocks downloaded files that contain malware. As of March 2022, the feature is available on the Windows and macOS apps and works without connecting to a VPN server.
In 2021, NordVPN conducted a study on digital literacy, surveying 48,063 respondents from 192 countries on their digital habits and rating their knowledge on the scale from 1 to 100. Germany topped the list, followed by the Netherlands and Switzerland. The overall global score was 65.2/100.
In July 2021, NordVPN released a report outlining the proliferation of smart devices and consumer sentiment regarding their security. The poll of 7000 people revealed that while 95% of people in the UK had some kind of an IoT device in their household, almost a fifth took no measures to protect them. Similar responses were found in respondents from other countries as well. The same year, NordVPN released a report about device sharing in workplace. The study found that managers are five times more likely to share their work devices than their employees.
NordVPN also conducted a study on the time people spend online. In a survey of 2,000 adults in the UK, NordVPN found that, on average, British people spend 59 hours online per week, which amounts to 22 years per lifetime.
NordVPN has supported various social causes, including cybercrime prevention, education, internet freedom, and digital rights. NordVPN offers emergency VPN services for activists and journalists in regimes that censor internet freedom. In 2020, NordVPN reported having donated over 470 emergency VPN accounts to citizens and NGOs from Hong Kong and given out additional 1,150 VPN licenses to various organizations.
In 2020, NordVPN supported the Internet Freedom Festival, a project promoting digital human rights and internet freedom. NordVPN also sponsors the Cybercrime Support Network, a non-profit organization that assists people and companies affected by cybercrime. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, NordVPN’s parent company Nord Security offered free online security tools (NordVPN, NordPass, and NordLocker) to affected nonprofit organizations, content creators, and educators.
In 2021, NordVPN proposed the International VPN Day, a day to bring attention to people's right to digital privacy, security, and freedom. It is proposed to be annually observed on August 19. Its primary goal is to raise awareness about cybersecurity best practices and educate internet users about the importance of online privacy tools and cybersecurity in general. 
In a positive review published by Tom's Guide in October 2019, the reviewer concluded that "NordVPN is affordable and offers all the features that even the hardcore VPN elitists will find suitable". The reviewer also noted that its terms of service mention no country of jurisdiction, writing that the company could be more transparent about its ownership.
In a February 2019 review by PC Magazine, NordVPN was praised for its strong security features and an "enormous network of servers", although its price tag was noted as expensive. In a later review by the same magazine, NordVPN was again praised extra features, rarely found in other VPNs, its WireGuard protocol, large selection of servers, and strong security practices. Despite winning the outlet’s Editor’s Choice award, NordVPN was still noted as expensive.
CNET's September 2021 review favorably noted NordVPN's SmartPlay feature, obfuscated servers, and security efforts. While CNET praised NordVPN’s user-friendly interface, it noted that the map’s design could be improved.
In 2021, a favorable review by Wired noted that NordVPN’s price has become more affordable and concluded that “NordVPN is the fastest jack-of-all-trades VPN provider right now.” However, the article also noted that there are still cheaper VPN options available.
In 2019, NordVPN won the ‘Best Overall’ category in ProPrivacy.com VPN Awards. In 2020, NordVPN won in German CHIP magazine’s ‘Best security of the VPN services’ category. In September 2021, NordVPN won CNET’s ‘Best VPN for reliability and security’ award in its annual ‘Best VPN service’ awards.
On October 21, 2019, a security researcher disclosed on Twitter a server breach of NordVPN involving a leaked private key. The cyberattack granted the attackers root access, which was used to generate an HTTPS certificate that enabled the attackers to perform man-in-the-middle attacks to intercept the communications of NordVPN users. In response, NordVPN confirmed that one of its servers based in Finland was breached in March 2018, but there was no evidence of an actual man-in-the-middle attack ever taking place. The exploit was the result of a vulnerability in a contracted data center's remote administration system that affected the Finland server between January 31 and March 20, 2018. According to NordVPN, the data center disclosed the breach to NordVPN on April 13, 2019, and NordVPN ended its relationship with the data center. Security researchers and media outlets criticized NordVPN for failing to promptly disclose the breach after the company became aware of it. NordVPN stated that the company initially planned to disclose the breach after it completed the audit of its 5,000 servers for any similar risks.
- Comparison of virtual private network services
- Internet freedom in Panama
- Internet privacy
- Secure communication
- "General Terms of Service". nordaccount.com. Retrieved April 23, 2021.
- "Nordvpn S.A." App Store. Retrieved April 23, 2021.
- Nadel, Brian (April 10, 2018). "NordVPN Review: Easy But Slow". Tom's Guide. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- NordVPN (May 16, 2022). "NordVPN - Fast & Secure VPN". Google Play. Google. Retrieved May 30, 2022.
- NordVPN (May 27, 2022). "VPN: Fast & Unlimited NordVPN". App Store. Apple. Retrieved May 30, 2022.
- NordVPN (May 27, 2022). "VPN by NordVPN - Web Security". Mac App Store. Apple. Retrieved May 30, 2022.
- Schofield, Jack (November 24, 2016). "How can I protect myself from government snoopers?". The Guardian. Retrieved February 22, 2018.
- Caruana, Anthony (June 19, 2018). "NordVPN Launches Android TV App". Lifehacker Australia. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Tiwari, Aditya (October 29, 2017). "NordVPN In-Depth Review: A Reliable VPN For Security And Performance". fossbytes.com. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- Bozovic, Novak (August 18, 2021). "Who Owns NordVPN? Can You Really Trust This VPN?". technadu.com. Retrieved September 28, 2021.
- David Gewirtz (May 22, 2020). "Meet NordSec: The company behind NordVPN wants to be your one-stop privacy suite". ZDNet. Retrieved April 9, 2021.
- Bozovic, Novak (August 18, 2021). "Who Owns NordVPN? Can You Really Trust This VPN?". technadu.com. Retrieved September 28, 2021.
- Vigliarolo, Brandon (July 1, 2016). "NordVPN offers powerful mobile VPN service and app, but there's Wi-Fi gotcha". techrepublic.com. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Real, Mark (October 3, 2017). "NordVPN Launches Extension For Google Chrome Browser". androidheadlines.com. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Maxham, Alexander (June 19, 2018). "NordVPN Is Now Available On Android TV". androidheadlines.com. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Eddy, Max; Key, Kim (June 25, 2021). "NordVPN Review". PC Magazine. Retrieved September 28, 2021.
- "Russia Threatens to Block Popular VPN Services to Prevent Website Access". Reuters. March 29, 2019. Retrieved May 4, 2019 – via The Moscow Times.
- Bozovic, Novak (March 30, 2019). "Russian VPN Ban – What Happens Next? Can VPNs Be Fully & Completely Blocked in Russia?". technadu.com. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Spadafora, Anthony (September 12, 2019). "NordVPN Teams is a VPN solution for businesses". TechRadar. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- "Goodbye NordVPN Teams – Hello NordLayer!". nordlayer.com. Retrieved 2021-09-27.
- "NordVPN Teams rebrands as NordLayer, moves towards SASE business solutions". CyberNews. 2021-09-14. Retrieved 2021-09-27.
- Kan, Michael (October 29, 2019). "NordVPN Beefs Up Security With Audit, Bug Bounty Program". PC Magazine. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Spadafora, Anthony (December 10, 2019). "NordVPN boosts security with new bug bounty program". TechRadar. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- Bozovic, Novak (December 12, 2019). "Industry-Leading i2Coalition Launches 'VPN Trust Initiative' for Promoting Internet Safety". technadu.com. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- Eddy, Max (December 19, 2019). "Can a New Alliance Help VPN Companies Prove Themselves Trustworthy". PCMag. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "i2Coalition's VPN Trust Initiative (VTI) Unveils the VTI Principles". Yahoo! Finance. September 29, 2020. Retrieved September 28, 2021.
- Troy, Hunt (August 7, 2020). "I'm Partnering with NordVPN as a Strategic Advisor". Retrieved August 7, 2020.
- Athow, Desire (October 6, 2020). "NordVPN unleashes colocated servers for greater security". TechRadar. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Nichols, Shaun (October 12, 2020). "One year after server hackers left NordVPN red-faced, firm's first colocated setup is online". The Register. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Lunden, Ingrid (April 7, 2022). "NordVPN raises its first money, $100M at a $1.6B valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved April 7, 2022.
- TJ, McCue (June 20, 2019). "How Does A VPN Work?". Forbes. Retrieved November 21, 2019.
- Athow, Desire (July 26, 2018). "How to choose a security protocol in the NordVPN Windows and Android apps". TechRadar. Retrieved July 15, 2019.
- Eddy, Max (August 14, 2019). "The VPN Industry Is on the Cusp of a Major Breakthrough". PCMag. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- Preneel, Bart; Vercauteren, Frederik, eds. (11 June 2018). Applied Cryptography and Network Security. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-93387-0. Archived from the original on 18 February 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Orphanides, K.G (October 19, 2019). "Cloudflare 188.8.131.52 with Warp review: faster browsing, but not a real VPN". Wired UK. Retrieved November 15, 2019.
- Wagenseil, Paul (April 22, 2020). "NordVPN is about to get a lot faster — thanks to WireGuard". Tom's Guide. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Toulas, Bill (April 24, 2020). "NordVPN Implements NordLynx "WireGuard" on All Its Platforms". technadu.com. Retrieved April 27, 2020.
- Paul, Ian (July 6, 2017). "NordVPN review: A great choice for Netflix fans, but who's running the show?". PC World. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "NordVPN review: Still the best value for security and speed". cnet.com. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Eddy, Max (October 23, 2019). "NordVPN". PCMag UK. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Orphanides, K. G. (May 10, 2019). "The best VPNs to keep your browsing safe and secure". Wired UK. ISSN 1357-0978. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Harber-Lamond, Mo (July 1, 2021). "Independent audit confirms NordVPN's no-log policy for the second time". Tom's Guide. Retrieved September 28, 2021.
- Toulas, Bill (June 23, 2021). "NordVPN Completed Aggressive Security Audit by VerSprite With No Worrying Findings". technadu.com. Retrieved September 28, 2021.
- Spadafora, Anthony (June 23, 2021). "NordVPN passes major security test". TechRadar. Retrieved September 28, 2021.
- Harber-Lamond, Mo (December 25, 2020). "NordVPN begins worldwide speed upgrade with 10 Gbit/s server rollout". Tom's Guide. Retrieved December 30, 2020.
- Spadafora, Anthony (December 22, 2020). "This VPN giant is getting a major speed upgrade". TechRadar. Retrieved December 30, 2020.
- Spadafora, Anthony (January 19, 2022). "NordVPN wants to help you test the speed of your VPN connection". TechRadar. Retrieved January 19, 2022.
- Eddy, Max (February 28, 2019). "NordVPN". PC Magazine (British magazine). Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Allen, Jennifer (September 24, 2021). "NordVPN vs. ExpressVPN: Which VPN is best for you?". Digital Trends. Retrieved September 28, 2021.
- Ballard, Barclay (November 16, 2020). "NordVPN adds Dark Web credential monitor to protect your identity". TechRadar. Retrieved November 17, 2020.
- Kan, Michael (February 9, 2022). "NordVPN to Offer Antivirus Through Built-In 'Threat Protection' Feature". PCMag. Retrieved March 10, 2022.
- Castro, Chiara (March 9, 2022). "NordVPN Threat Protection: what is it and how to use it". TechRadar. Retrieved March 10, 2022.
- Hariharan, Sindhu (June 28, 2021). "India fails in cybersecurity literacy test: Study". India Times. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Adams, R. Dallon (July 21, 2021). "Cybersecurity lags behind as IoT devices proliferate, according to a new report". techrepublic.com. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Fadilpašić, Sead (July 21, 2021). "Many users are still doing nothing to protect our IoT devices". TechRadar. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Fadilpašić, Sead (June 21, 2021). "Sharing devices at work could be your company's biggest security risk". TechRadar. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Hughes, Alice (April 22, 2021). "How much time do Britons spend online?". The Independent. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- "Funding". Access Now. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- "Corporate supporters". Open Rights Group. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- "Cybercrime Support Network and NordVPN Announce New Leadership Sponsorship". prnewswire.com. March 26, 2019. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- "Funding". European Digital Rights. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Bischoff, Paul (May 10, 2021). "NordVPN Review 2021". comparitech.com. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Year in Review 2020 (PDF) (Report). NordVPN. p. 9. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- "Announcing the VPN Village!". internetfreedomfestival.org. July 31, 2020. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- "CSN Strengthens Partnership with the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)". cybercrimesupport.org. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Toulas, Bill (December 23, 2020). "NordVPN Gives Six Months of Free Services to Educators". technadu.com. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- August 2021, Mike Williams 19 (2021-08-19). "Why the time is right for International VPN Day". TechRadar. Retrieved 2021-08-26.
- August 2021, Mo Harber-Lamond 19 (2021-08-19). "It's International VPN Day, but why should you care?". Tom's Guide. Retrieved 2021-08-26.
- Fadilpašić, Saed (October 15, 2019). NordVPN Review: Excellent Price/Quality Ratio. Tom's Guide. Retrieved: February 5, 2020.
- Nadel, Brian (April 10, 2018). "NordVPN Review: Easy But Slow". Tom's Guide. Archived from the original on April 14, 2018.
- Eddy, Max; Key, Kim (June 25, 2021). "NordVPN Review". PC Magazine. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Hodge, Rae (September 8, 2021). "NordVPN review: An encryption powerhouse with the biggest VPN bang for your buck". CNET. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Williams, Mike. "NordVPN review". TechRadar. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Orphanides, K.G. "The best VPN services tested for speed, reliability and privacy". Wired. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- "VPN Awards 2019". proprivacy.com. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Geiger, Joerg. "VPN-Anbieter-Test: Sicher surfen und Ländersperren umgehen". CHIP. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Hodge, Rae; Holly, Russell; Gewirtz, David. "Best VPN service of 2021". CNET. Retrieved September 29, 2021.
- Turton, William (October 21, 2019). "After Twitter Allegations, Nord VPN Discloses 2018 Breach". Bloomberg. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Whittaker, Zack (October 21, 2019). "NordVPN confirms it was hacked". TechCrunch. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- Hodge, Rae (November 1, 2019). "After the breach, Nord is asking people to trust its VPN again". CNET. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Goodin, Dan (October 21, 2019). "Hackers steal secret crypto keys for NordVPN. Here's what we know so far". Ars Technica. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Kastrenakes, Jacob (October 21, 2019). "NordVPN reveals server breach that could have let attacker monitor traffic". The Verge. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- "Why the NordVPN network is safe after a third-party provider breach". NordVPN. October 21, 2019. Retrieved October 24, 2019.
- Eddy, Max (October 23, 2019). "NordVPN and TorGuard VPN Breaches: What You Need to Know". PC Magazine. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Goodin, Dan (November 1, 2019). "NordVPN users' passwords exposed in mass credential-stuffing attacks". Ars Technica. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Al-Heeti, Abrar (November 1, 2019). "NordVPN user accounts compromised and passwords exposed, report says". CNET. Retrieved November 14, 2019.