Nordic Catholic Church
This article does not cite any sources. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Nordic Catholic Church|
|Leader||Roald Nikolai Flemestad|
|Associations||Union of Scranton|
|Separated from||Church of Norway|
The Nordic Catholic Church (Norwegian: den nordisk-katolske kirke) is a church body in Norway of High Church Lutheran origin, under the auspices of the Polish National Catholic Church and Union of Scranton.
The Nordic Catholic Church was founded in 1999 by a group of Catholic-minded people belonging to the “orthodox opposition” in the Lutheran state Church of Norway when they left the state church due to, for example, the ordination of women to the priesthood and episcopate. During the process both the Anglican Forward in Faith organisation and the Free Synod of the Church of Sweden were kept fully informed. In Sweden it was paralleled by the foundation of the Mission Province of the Church of Sweden.
The "Statement of Faith" of the Nordic Catholic Church states that it adheres to its Lutheran heritage to the extent that it has embraced and transmitted the orthodox and catholic faith of the undivided church, therefore also embracing the Catholic faith as taught by the Polish National Catholic Church.
The bishop of the Nordic Catholic Church in Scandinavia is Roald Nikolai Flemestad.
Old Catholic Church in Italy (Nordic Catholic Church vicariate)
In 2011, a fraction of the Orthodox Church in Italy was organized as an association in memory of its deceased primate Antonio De Rosso, under the name Association of Metropolitan Antonio (Italian: Associazione "Metropolita Antonio"). In 2013, the Association was reorganized as the Old Catholic Church in Italy, and in 2015 it became a vicariate of the Nordic Catholic Church (NCC).
- "The Union of Scranton: a union of churches in communion with the Polish National Catholic Church". unionofscranton.org. Scranton, PA: Union of Scranton. Archived from the original on 2016-03-21. Retrieved 2016-05-01.
- Zoccatelli, PierLuigi; Introvigne, Massimo (2016-05-02). "La Chiesa Ortodossa in Italia". cesnur.com (in Italian). Turin, IT: Center for Studies on New Religions. Archived from the original on 2016-05-02. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- "Comunicato stampa" (Press release) (in Italian). Chiesa Ortodossa in Italia, Associazione "Metropolita Antonio". 2013-11-20. Archived from the original on 2014-02-22 – via comunicati.net.
- "Un giorno importante per la Chiesa" [An important day for the church]. www.chiesavecchiocattolica.it (in Italian). Rome, IT: Chiesa Vecchio-Cattolica in Italia. 2015-02-28. Archived from the original on 2016-03-10. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- "Clergy directory". nordiccatholic.com. Nordic Catholic Church. Archived from the original on 2016-03-24.
- Nordic Catholic Church official website, (in English)
- Scandinavian Lutherans form "Continuing" church
- Out on a Limb in Norway by William J. Tighe (Touchstone July/August, 2002)
- Report from Norway by Fr Roald Flemestad - The National Assembly of Forward in Faith UK on 6 and 7 October 2006
- Official website (in Italian) (Nordic Catholic Church vicariate)