Nordic Microscopy Society
|Motto||to provide an interdisciplinary forum for the presentation of papers, discussion and the general exchange of knowledge on electron microscopy and to collaborate with other societies to ensure that users of electron microscopy in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are represented internationally.|
|Formation||October 16, 1948|
|Type||Professional Organisation and Registered Charity|
|Scandinavian Society for Electron Microscopy|
The Nordic Microscopy Society (SCANDEM) is a learned society for the promotion of microscopy in the Nordic countries. It was founded on 16 October, 1948 at the Research Institute of Experimental Physics in Stockholm, Sweden and was originally called the Scandinavian Society for Electron Microscopy (SCANDEM), reflecting the region of Europe the founding members of Denmark, Norway and Sweden are located. This name was in use until 2002 when it was changed to its current name to reflect the shift towards encompassing the broader field of microscopy. The society is a member of the European Microscopy Society committee of the International Federation of Societies for Microscopy.
Listed below are the presidents of the society from 1973 until present.
- Björn Afzelius (Sweden), 1973-1976.
- Arvid B. Maunsbach (Denmark), 1977-1980. President of the International Federation of Societies for Microscopy 1994-1997.
- Jorma Wartiovaara (Finland), 1981-1982.
- Bjørn V Johansen (Norway), 1983-1986.
- Sven-Olof Bohman (Sweden), 1987-1989.
- Kaarina Pihakaski-Maunsbach (Finland), 1990-1993.
- Anders Thölén (Sweden), 1994-?
- Kesara Anamthawat-Jónsson (Iceland), ?-present.
- "By-Laws". Nordic Microscopy Society. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "About the Society". Nordic Microscopy Society. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "European Microscopy Society - Yearbook 2016". www.eurmicsoc.org. Bresson, Isère: Manufacture d'Histoires Deux-Ponts. 2016: 52–53. 15 February 2017. ISSN 1609-1191. Retrieved 17 June 2017.
- "The Board". Nordic Microscopy Society. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Meetings - Europe Microbiology Societies - Nordic Microscopy Society". CME Conferences. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "A Presentation of the Society". SCANDEM - The Nordic Microscopy Society. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- Mulvey, Tom; Kazan, Benjamin; Hawkes, Peter W (3 July 1996). "2.11.4". The Growth of Electron Microscopy, Volume 96 (1st ed.). San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 315–316. ISBN 9780120147380. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "History". International Federation of Societies for Microscopy. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- Mulvey, Tom; Kazan, Benjamin; Hawkes, Peter W; Cosslett, Vernon Ellis (article author) (3 July 1996). "1". Early History of the International Federation of Societies for Microscopy (from The Growth of Electron Microscopy, Volume 96) (PDF) (2012 ed.). San Diego: Academic Press. pp. 3–35. ISBN 9780120147380. Retrieved 19 May 2017.