In ufology, Nordic aliens are humanoid extraterrestrials purported to come from the Pleiades who resemble Nordic-Scandinavians. Professed contactees describe them as being six to seven feet tall (about two meters) with long blonde hair, blue eyes, and fair skin. Ufologist George Adamski is credited with being among the first to claim contact with Nordic aliens in the mid 1950s, and scholars note that the mythology of extraterrestrial visitation from beings with features described as Aryan often include claims of telepathy, benevolence, and physical beauty.
Cultural historian David J. Skal wrote that early stories of Nordic-type aliens may have been partially inspired by the 1951 film The Day the Earth Stood Still, in which an extraterrestrial arrives on Earth to warn humanity about the dangers of atomic weapons. Bates College professor Stephanie Kelley-Romano described alien abduction beliefs as "a living myth", and notes that, among believers, Nordic aliens "are often associated with spiritual growth and love and act as protectors for the experiencers."
In contactee and ufology literature, Nordic aliens are often described as benevolent or even "magical" beings who want to observe and communicate with humans and are concerned about the Earth's environment or prospects for world peace. Believers also ascribe telepathic powers to Nordic aliens, and describe them as "paternal, watchful, smiling, affectionate, and youthful."
During the 1950s, many contactees, especially those in Europe, claimed encounters with beings fitting this description. Such claims became relatively less common in subsequent decades, as the grey alien supplanted the Nordic in most alleged accounts of extraterrestrial encounters.
- George Adamski claimed he was contacted by Nordic aliens in his books Flying Saucers Have Landed and Inside the Space Ships.
- Howard Menger claimed contact with Nordic aliens in his books, such as From Outer Space to You.
- Travis Walton claimed contact with Nordic aliens in his book The Walton Experience.
In popular culture
- In the TBS show People of Earth, a comedy about alien encounters, a Nordic is one of three main alien characters (along with reptilian and a grey).
- In the episode "Aliens Among Us" of the TV show Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, a blonde Nordic alien was the disguise of Sheila O'Flaherty, a wanted thief. She and two others disguised themselves as aliens, including a Grey and a Reptilian.
- In the video-game Perfect Dark, the antagonistic Skedar aliens disguise themselves as Nordic aliens to trick humanity into submission.
- Debbora Battaglia (9 January 2006). E.T. Culture: Anthropology in Outerspaces. Duke University Press. pp. 52–. ISBN 0-8223-8701-8.
- Bryan, C. D. B. (1995). Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind: Alien Abduction, UFOs, and the Conference at M.I.T.. Knopf. pp. 30–31. ISBN 0-679-42975-1.
- Clark, Jerome (2000). Extraordinary Encounters: An Encyclopedia of Extraterrestrials and Otherworldly Beings. ABL-CIO. pp. 187–188. ISBN 1-57607-249-5.
- Chambers Dictionary of the Unexplained. Ed. Una McGovern. Chambers, 2007. pp. 489–490. ISBN 0-550-10215-9.
- Kelley-Romano, Stephanie (2006). "Mythmaking in Alien Abduction Narratives". Published in Extreme Deviance. Ed. Erich Goode. Pine Forge Press, 2007. p. 51. ISBN 1-4129-3722-1
- Skal, David (1998). Screams of Reason: Mad Science and Modern Culture. Norton. p. 208. ISBN 0-393-04582-X.
- Leslie, Desmond; Adamski, George (1953). Flying Saucers Have Landed. London: Thomas Werner Laurie. LCCN 54020807. OCLC 1952754.
- Adamski, George (1955). Inside the Space Ships. New York: Abelard-Schuman. LCCN 55010556. OCLC 543169.
- Menger, Howard (1959). From Outer Space to You.
- UFOs and Popular Culture Santa Barbara, CA. ABC-CLIO, Inc., 2000. ISBN 1-57607-265-7
- Walton, Travis (1978). The Walton Experience.
- "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated Full Episode Guides from Season 1 on Cartoon Network". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- Chris Carle. "Perfect Dark Guide/Story". IGN. Archived from the original on 22 May 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nordic aliens.|