Avtar Nordine Zouareg, 2017
July 1, 1962
|Children||Armand and Isabella|
Nordine Zouareg (born July 1, 1962) is a French-American fitness personality, high-performance coach and author who has won Mr. France, Mr. Europe, Mr. World, and Mr. Universe in 1986. He currently resides in Tucson, Arizona with his two children.
Nordine Zouareg was born in Algeria to Bedouin parents in the back of a French army truck. He was a sickly infant with a birth weigh of two pounds and constantly fell ill. In order to seek advanced medical care for their newborn, Zouareg's parents took him to France where he was diagnosed with rickets. Zouareg's parents settled in France where he spent a major of part of his childhood in the suburbs of Paris with the 13 siblings that followed him. Poor health eclipsed a major part of Zouareg's childhood, resulting in a weak constitution which made him an easy target for school bullies.
Introduction to bodybuilding
During his teens, he focused on becoming a gymnast. In his struggle to become a successful gymnast, Zouareg broke his wrists and moved into the world of professional body building. He claims that as his physical presence improved his resolve to become a body builder strengthened. In 1985 Zouareg won his first title of Mr. France.
Awards and recognition
Zouareg was overall winner of the World Amateur Bodybuilding Association (WABBA) in 1986. Zouareg added the titles of Mr. France, Mr. Europe and Mr. Universe twice, once in 1986 and once in 1988. In 1987 Zouareg turned pro and joined the International Federation of BodyBuilders (IFBB). Shortly afterward, he took second place at the Italian Grand Prix in Rimini and 15th at the Night of Champions in New York, both in 1991.
The "Mind Over Body" philosophy
In an effort to promote what he calls a "mind over body" philosophy, Zouareg moved to the United States to reach a wider audience.
In 2007, Zouareg's Mind Over Body was released by Springboard Publishing. The book details Zouareg's life experience, the personal struggles and challenges he has overcome to succeed in life, and a detailed explanation of the positive influence of "mind over body". Zouareg worked as fitness manager at the Miraval, Life in Balance Resort & Spa in Tucson, Arizona from 1999 to 2004, where he created their fitness program, and now works independently as Miraval's professional fitness coach and has his own business as a motivational speaker toward fitness and health.
- Zouareg, Nordine (2012). Weight Loss Secrets of the Stars. Avtar Wellness Publishing. ISBN 978-1-61979-308-8.
- Zouareg, Nordine (2007). Mind Over Body: The Key to Lasting Weight Loss Is All in Your Head. Springboard Press. ISBN 978-0-446-58077-9.
- Review (third from bottom) of Mind Over Body in Publisher's Weekly 4/16/2007, Vol. 254 Issue 16, p47-48.
- Arizona Star, by Bob Oro, January 8, 2009, "Nordine Zouareg's international experience with health and bodybuilding drew me in — Zouareg is a former Mr. Universe — but his understanding of lifestyle changes blew me away."
- Armchair Interviews, by Cerri Ellis, review of Mind Over Body: "...oddly enough I enjoyed the stretching exercises, even found them relaxing. The more strenuous exercises…well, I’m still working on those"
- Nordine Zouareg: Author's Bio Archived 2008-05-09 at the Wayback Machine mindoverbodyonline.com
- Bodybuilding Achievements On MuscleMemory.com musclememory.com
- Messina, Irene (May 24, 2007). "Pick of the Week Mind Over Body". Tucson Weekly.
- Mentioned on page 3 of Mind Over Body
- Mentioned on page 5 of Mind Over Body
- "WABBA 1986 Results" (PDF). executiveinnerfitness.com. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- "Zouareg, Nordine". Musclememory.com. 1962-07-01. Retrieved 2009-01-13.
- "World Amateur Bodybuilding Association 1986". executiveinnerfitness.com. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "World Amateur Bodybuilding Association". executiveinnerfitness.com. 1995-03-14. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- Oro, Bob (January 8, 2009). "Get healthy, one small step at a time". Arizona Daily Star.[dead link] "Zouareg is a former Mr. Universe"
- Khalsa, Dharma Singh (2002-12-31). Food As Medicine. ISBN 978-0-7434-4226-8. p. 95, Nordine Zouareg of Paris is a two time Mr. Universe body-building champion.
- Khalsa, Dharma Singh; Cameron Stauth (2000-05-01). The Pain Cure. ISBN 978-0-446-67586-4.p. 389 ...Nordine Zouareg M.A. a two time Mr. Universe body-building champion.
- Neff, Cary (2005-04-01). Conscious Cuisine. ISBN 978-1-4022-0405-0.p. 58 ...two time Mr. Universe winner (WABBA), Nordine Zouareg
- "World Amateur Bodybuilding Association". executiveinnerfitness.com. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "IFBB". executiveinnerfitness.com. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "IFBB2" (PDF). executiveinnerfitness.com. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- 1991 Night of Champions Results musclememory.com
- "Night of Champions Results Card" (PDF). executiveinnerfitness.com. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- Springboard Press / Hachette Book Group USA Archived 2008-09-07 at the Wayback Machine hachettebookgroupusa.com
- Leigh Bureau Archived 2008-12-25 at the Wayback Machine, "Nordine Zouareg - Personal fitness coach. Author, Mind Over Body", leighbureau.com, accessed 01-13-2009
- motivationalmagic.com, by Nordine Zouareg, "YOUR MIND IS YOUR BODY'S BEST FRIEND", accessed 01-13-2009
-  Arizona Star, by Bob Oro (Juauary 8, 2009), "Get healthy, one small step at a time ", accessed 01-13-2009
- reviews.armchairinterviews.com Armchair Interviews, by Cerri Ellis, review of Mind Over Body, accessed 01-13-2009 Archived November 21, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nordine Zouareg.|