Nordic Africa Institute
|Affiliations||AEGIS (African Studies)|
Nordic Africa Institute (Swedish: Nordiska Afrikainstitutet) serves as a research, documentation and information centre on modern Africa for the Nordic countries. The Institute also encourages research and studies on Africa. The institute was founded in 1962.
The institute is financed jointly by the Nordic countries. Administratively, it functions as a Swedish government agency that answers to the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. It is located in Uppsala. The Nordic Africa Institute is part of AEGIS, a network of African Studies Centres in Europe, and organized its 4th international conference (ECAS) in 2011. The institute is headed by a Director, a position which is held by Iina Soiri since March 2013.
Nordic Africa Days
The Nordic Africa Days (NAD) is a biannual research conference arranged by the Nordic Africa Institute. The first NAD conference was held in 1999 in Uppsala, Sweden, and after that, until and including 2012, the conference locations alternated between different cities in the Nordic regions, with Nordic universities as co-organisers. Since 2014, the NAD conference has taken place biannually in Uppsala, Sweden, with NAI as the sole organiser.
The Nordic Africa Days gathers researchers and writers from all over the world working on Africa-related knowledge production. It comprises panel discussions, workshops, poster exhibitions, seminars, and a whole range of other events. The conference also provides a venue for dialogue between Africa specialists within academic and policy arenas. In 2016, the Nordic Africa Days gathered 239 participants from 36 countries.
Previous NAD conferences and their themes
- 2018: "African mobilities – reshaping narratives and practices of circulation and exchange", Uppsala, Sweden, 19-21 September 2018.
- 2016: "Gender and change: global challenges for Africa", Uppsala, Sweden, 23-24 September 2016.
- 2014: "Governance in African states", Uppsala, Sweden, 26-27 September 2014
- 2012: "Africa unplugged", Reykjavík, Iceland, 18-19 October 2012
- 2010: "Time Space Africa: Reconnecting the Continent", Åbo, Finland, 30 September - 1 October 2010
- 2009: "Africa in Search of Alternatives", Trondheim, Norway, 1-3 October 2009
- 2008: "From ’Brand Aid’ to ’Youth and Hope’", Copenhagen, Denmark, 9-10 October 2008
- 2007: "Mobility, Citizenship and Belonging in Africa", Uppsala, Sweden, 5-7 October 2007
- "African Studies Center Leiden (ASCL), University of Leiden: Report on the Nordic Africa Days 2014".
- "Upsala Nya Tidning (UNT): Afrika lär av Norden?".
- "Swedish International Agricultural Network Initiative (SIANI): Nordic Africa Days 2018".
- "Nordic Africa Institute (NAI): Programme for the Nordic Africa Days 2016".
- "Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA): Nordic Africa Days 2018".
- "Nordic Africa Institute: The Nordic Africa Days 2018".
- "Nordic Africa Institute: The Nordic Africa Days 2016".
- "Nordic Africa Institute: The Nordic Africa Days 2014".
- "University of Iceland: The Nordic Africa Days 2012".
- "University of Turku: The Nordic Africa Days 2010".
- "NTNU och Nordiska Afrikainstitutet: Pressmeddelande, 24 september 2009".
- "University of Copenhagen: The Nordic Africa Days 2008".
- "Nordicom: The Nordic Africa Days 2007".
- Official website
- AEGIS, network of African studies centres in Europe
- Nordic Africa Institute – via International Relations and Security Network (publications fulltext)
|This Sweden-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This government-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organization in Africa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about African studies is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|