|Founded||1896 Bremen, Germany|
|Headquarters||Bremerhaven, Free Hanseatic City of Bremen, Germany|
|Revenue||€360 million (2007)|
|Owner||Kamps Food Retail Investments
Nordsee is a German fast-food restaurant chain specialising in seafood. In addition to selling raw and smoked seafood, the company also sells a wide variety of meals and products prepared from seafood such as Fischbrötchen (fish sandwiches), salads, and canned seafood. The company formerly supplied its own seafood but has since sold the fishery.
Nordsee was founded in 1896 to supply seafood from the North Sea to the residents of Bremen. In 1964 the company opened restaurant type retail shops offering meals prepared from seafood in addition to raw seafood. This concept, known as Nordsee Quick, was a huge success as nearly 300 shops opened within 2 years. In 1998, the company sold the fishery division known as Deutsche See to allow for more focus towards seafood retailing. The new focus was demonstrated with the introduction of locations serving smaller, quicker takeout meals in the following year.
In 2005 the company was sold to Kamps Food Retail Investments and Nomura International. The company underwent restructuring and experienced a growth in profits five times greater than expected in the first year. In response to a new emerging market, the company introduced sushi and a number of other higher quality food products the following year and has begun to move into other sectors of the food industry with success.
Nordsee restaurants are usually located in populated areas such as city centers or near airports and train stations. The company focuses primarily on Germany and Austria but operates additional locations in the Czech Republic, Romania, Slovakia, Switzerland, Hungary, and more recently, Cyprus, Dubai, Egypt, Bulgaria, Turkey and Russia. As of 2007, there are over 400 Nordsee franchises operating in Europe alone. Nordsee has formed a partnership with IHS International Ltd., a Middle Eastern company (Ocean Fresh), and plans to open 150 additional locations throughout the Middle East.
- "Press Release: Nordsee soon to be available in the Middle East!" (PDF). “Nordsee“ Fisch-Spezialitäten GmbH/IHS International Ltd. Retrieved 2009-09-12.[dead link]
- "NORDSEE". Archived from the original on January 30, 2009. Retrieved 09-12-2009. Check date values in:
- "Apax to sell NORDSEE to Nomura International and Kamps Food Retail Investments". AltAccess. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "Nordsee delivers on profit promise" (PDF). IntraFish. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "Basic Information for Franchisee" (PDF). Nordsee. Retrieved 2009-09-12.[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nordsee (restaurant).|