|Elevation||210 ft (64 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||692114|
Norfolk is an unincorporated community located in Desoto County, Mississippi, United States. Norfolk Landing (also called Helm's Landing), located a short distance west of Norfolk, was the community's port on the Mississippi River.
Norfolk Landing was the first port south of the Mississippi-Tennessee border. In 1862, the newly formed Confederate States of America established a customs office there, and all passing vessels were required to stop and provide a list of cargo. Regarding this action, historian Marion Bragg wrote:
Men who had previously been neutral and disinterested in the issues which had aroused others in the North were suddenly enraged. Free navigation of the Mississippi was a natural birthright of every American, the westerners believed, and they would gladly fight to death for it. The idea of a "foreign power" dictating the terms upon which they could navigate "their river" was unthinkable.:85
Norfolk had a post office from 1854 to 1913.
Hernando DeSoto Park
Norfolk Landing has been converted into a 41-acre (17 ha) public park called "Hernando DeSoto Park", which features a hiking/walking trail, river overlook, picnic area, parking and boat launch. The park is the only place in DeSoto County with public access to the Mississippi River.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Norfolk, Mississippi
- Bragg, Marion (1977). "Historic Names and Places on the Lower Mississippi River" (PDF). Mississippi River Commission. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-02-24.
- Conclin, George (1854). Conclins' New River Guide, Or, A Gazetteer of All the Towns on the Western Waters: Containing Sketches of the Cities, Towns, and Countries Bordering on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, and Their Principal Tributaries: Together with Their Population, Products, Commerce, &c., &c., &c.: and Many Interesting Events of History Connected with Them. J.A. & U.P. James. p. 94.
- "De Soto County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved April 2014. Check date values in:
- "Hernando DeSoto Park". DeSoto County Greenways and Parks. Retrieved April 2014. Check date values in:
- Map from 1842 showing the location of Norfolk in Mississippi