Norman Aviation J6 Karatoo
|First flight||1988 (Norman Aviation version)|
|Number built||75 (December 1998)|
US$22,650 (assembled, 1998)
|Developed from||Anglin J6 Karatoo|
The Norman Aviation J6 Karatoo is a Canadian advanced ultralight aircraft, that was designed by Jessie Anglin and produced by Norman Aviation of Saint-Anselme, Quebec. The aircraft was supplied as a kit for amateur construction or as a complete ready-to-fly-aircraft.
Production is complete and the J6 Karatoo is no longer available from Norman Aviation.
Design and development
The Norman Aviation J6 Karatoo was a modified version of the original Anglin J6 Karatoo, designed to comply with the Canadian ultralight rules. It features a strut-braced high-wing, a two-seats-in-side-by-side configuration enclosed cockpit with doors, fixed conventional landing gear and a single engine in tractor configuration.
The aircraft fuselage is made from welded steel tubing, with its wings made from wood and all surfaces covered in doped aircraft fabric. Its 33.0 ft (10.1 m) span wing has an area of 169 m2 (1,820 sq ft) and mounts flaps. The wing is supported by V-struts and jury struts. The standard engines used are the 64 hp (48 kW) Rotax 582 two-stroke, the 80 hp (60 kW) Rotax 912UL or 71 to 100 hp (53 to 75 kW) Subaru EA four-stroke powerplants.
Construction time from the factory supplied kit is estimated at 300 hours.
Specifications (J6 Karatoo)
Data from Purdy
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Length: 19 ft 0 in (5.79 m)
- Wingspan: 33 ft 0 in (10.06 m)
- Wing area: 169 sq ft (15.7 m2)
- Empty weight: 630 lb (286 kg)
- Gross weight: 1,058 lb (480 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 12 U.S. gallons (45 L; 10.0 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Subaru EA engine four cylinder, air-cooled, four stroke automotive engine, 90 hp (67 kW)
- Propellers: 2-bladed composite
- Maximum speed: 100 mph (161 km/h; 87 kn)
- Cruise speed: 90 mph (145 km/h; 78 kn)
- Stall speed: 38 mph (61 km/h; 33 kn)
- Range: 350 mi (304 nmi; 563 km)
- Service ceiling: 10,000 ft (3,000 m)
- Rate of climb: 650 ft/min (3.3 m/s)
- Wing loading: 6.3 lb/sq ft (31 kg/m2)
- Downey, Julia: 1999 Kit Aircraft Directory, Kitplanes, Volume 15, Number 12, December 1998, page 60. Primedia Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
- Purdy, Don: AeroCrafter - Homebuilt Aircraft Sourcebook, page 215. BAI Communications. ISBN 0-9636409-4-1
- "Karatoo". Serenity Aviation. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Norman Aviation (n.d.). "Kits". Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Transport Canada (August 2012). "Canadian Civil Aircraft Register". Retrieved 21 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norman Aviation J6 Karatoo.|