|Full name||Norman Rangi Berryman|
|Date of birth||15 April 1973|
|Place of birth||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Date of death||22 June 2015(aged 42)|
|Place of death||Perth, Australia|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||108 kg (17 st 0 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Norman "Norm" Rangi Berryman (15 April 1973 – 22 June 2015) was a New Zealand rugby union winger and centre. He played one test for the All Blacks, and represented Northland, the Crusaders and the Chiefs in New Zealand. In France he played for Castres Olympique and CS Bourgoin-Jallieu.
Berryman first played first class rugby as an 18-year-old for Northland in the National Provincial Championship (NPC), in 1991. The next year he played in the New Zealand (All Black) trial, but wasn't picked for the national team. He continued to play for Northland, and in 1996 joined the Chiefs for the new Super 12. Berryman was drafted into the Blues in 1997, and eventually into the Crusaders in 1998. With the Crusaders he won three Super 12 championships (1998, 1999, and 2000).
Teammate Justin Marshall: "At the Crusaders, we were very structured and defence orientated and he definitely wasn't that. [Berryman] would play off the cuff and he enabled us to use our defence to swing on to attack. It was vital. And the crowd loved him."
During the 2000 NPC he left New Zealand for France, playing for Castres Olympique then CS Bourgoin-Jallieu. He returned to New Zealand in May 2003. Berryman rejoined Northland for the 2003 NPC, playing his 100th game for the team that year. In 2004 Berryman moved to Sydney, Australia, where he played for Southern Districts in 2005.
From 2004, Berryman lived in Australia - Sydney, then Perth. In Perth he stayed involved in club rugby, playing in the third-grade Kalamunda team, and coaching at his son's club, Wanneroo. He died of a heart attack in Perth on 22 June 2015, aged 42, survived by six children.
Notes and references
- Norm Berryman at AllBlacks.com Accessed 1 March 2009
- Palenski, Ron (2014). The All Blackography. Mower. p. 42. ISBN 978-1-927262-16-0.
- "All Blacks greats on the passing of Norm Berryman". NZ Herald. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Au revoir France ... bonjour Canada". New Zealand Herald. 19 July 2003.
- "No 4. for Berryman". Dominion Post. 23 August 2003.
- Smith, Terry (10 April 2005). "Rebels secure All Black Norm". Sunday Telegraph (Sydney). p. 66.
- "Norman Berryman dies of heart attack". stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Berryman buzzing over NZ Maori recall". NZPA. 17 July 2003.