|Full name||Norman Gordon|
6 August 1911|
Boksburg, Transvaal, South Africa
|Died||2 September 2014(aged 103)|
|Batting style||Right-handed batsman|
|Bowling style||Right-arm fast|
|Test debut (cap 151)||24 December 1938 v England|
|Last Test||14 March 1939 v England|
|Domestic team information|
|Source: CricketArchive, 22 August 2009|
He was born in Boksburg, Transvaal. He is the only male Test cricketer to live beyond 100 years of age. Gordon became the oldest-ever Test cricketer on 23 March 2011, when he surpassed New Zealander Eric Tindill, who died on 1 August 2010, approximately four months before his 100th birthday.
He made his Test debut against England in December 1938, playing every Test of the five-match series. In the first Test, he took his best Test match figures of 7–162, including 5–103 in the first innings. He was stumped by Les Ames off the bowling of Tom Goddard for a first-ball duck in the drawn match. In the second match he took 5–157 in England's only innings, but was again stumped by Ames off the bowling of Goddard for 0 in another drawn match.
In the third match, Gordon took 2–127 in England's only innings and was out for 1 and 0, falling to Ken Farnes and Hedley Verity as England won by an innings and 13 runs. In the fourth match, he took 2–47 and 3–58 but did not bat in the drawn Test. In the final Test Gordon took match figures of 1–256 and was not out in each innings, scoring 0 and 7. This match was the famous Timeless Test, which took 10 days and was eventually declared a draw by agreement between the teams. It was Gordon's final Test match.
He took his best innings figures of 6–61, followed by 3–86 in the second innings, for Transvaal against Natal at Johannesburg in 1939–40. He continued playing for Transvaal until the 1948–49 season.
- List of select Jewish cricketers
- List of oldest Test cricketers
- List of centenarians in sport
- List of South Africa cricketers who have taken five-wicket hauls on Test debut
- "Records - Test matches - Individual records (captains, players, umpires) - Oldest living players - ESPN Cricinfo". Cricinfo.
- "Wait 'til next year!". New Jersey Jewish News - NJJN.
- "Legendary South African Jewish Athlete Dies at 103". The Jewish Daily Forward. 2 September 2014.
- "Norman Gordon".
- "1st Test: South Africa v England at Johannesburg, Dec 24–28, 1938". espncricinfo. Retrieved 13 December 2011.
- "The Home of CricketArchive".
- Rodney Hartman, Ali: The Life of Ali Bacher, Penguin, Johannesburg, 2006, p. 20.
- "Norman Gordon: First Test cricketer to see a 100 years". NDTV.com. 6 August 2011. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
|Oldest living Test cricketer
1 August 2010 – 2 September 2014
|Oldest living first-class cricketer
22 November 2013 – 2 September 2014