Norman Lovett in 2005
|Birth name||Norman Lovett|
|Born||31 October 1946|
Windsor, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom
|Medium||Stand-up comedy, actor, film, television|
In 1989, Lovett appeared in his own surreal BBC2 sitcom called I, Lovett, in which he played a character called Norman. Seven years later, he played Dr Lovett in the short-lived sitcom Asylum which spawned many other successful careers. He has made a number of acting appearances such as the Ghost of Christmas Past in a TV adaptation of A Christmas Carol, Mr Follett in The History of Tom Jones, the film The Criminal, as well as the BBC sitcom Keeping Up Appearances, and an appearance in The Young Ones in the episode "Summer Holiday". He has appeared TV's in The Bill and three episodes of the Scottish sitcom Rab C Nesbitt.
Lovett played the role Holly in Red Dwarf in its first and second series. Starting from the third series, Lovett declined to join the cast when Red Dwarf filming moved to London, while Lovett had moved to Edinburgh, with the distance between the two cities decreasing his willingness to participate.
Lovett returned in the seventh series as a guest star and the eighth as a regular. However, a disagreement with the producer, Doug Naylor, meant that for a period Lovett refused to take part in any further Red Dwarf productions.
- Mabbot, Alistair (2 June 1989). "Last of the Red Hot Lovetts". The List. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- "Norman Lovett". IMDb. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- North, Madeleine (28 April 1999). "Chris Barrie and Norman Lovett". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Evil Aliens". IMDb. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- Hill, John (20 May 2009). "Norman Lovett takes Red Dwarf's male Holly offline". wharf.co.uk. Archived from the original on 3 October 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- Norman, Lovett (31 August 1990). "Letter to the editor". The List. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- Hall, Amanda (1 November 2012). "Red Dwarf star Norman Lovett talks about his new show". maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- Westbrook, Caroline (8 September 2017). "The original Holly – aka actor Norman Lovett – is heading back to Red Dwarf for its 12th series". Metro. Retrieved 4 January 2018.
- Burke, Darren (26 August 2016). "TV star comedians line up for Jeremy Corbyn rally in Doncaster". Doncaster: Doncaster Free Press. Retrieved 1 June 2018.