Norman Pickavance is an advisor, author and activist. He is CEO of Independent Think Tank - Tomorrows Company - addressing issues at the intersection of business and society, by leading research, innovation and collaborative action and by developing Tomorrows Leaders. He has advised business, society and political leaders including Ed Miliband, Chris Greyling and Nick Cleggs teams, plus various CEO's, Chairs and All Party Parliamentary Groups on strategy & policy, trust & governance, skills & employment, pay & fairness, mental health, modern slavery and social mobility matters. Pickavance recently Chaired a Task Force into the Future of the Retail Industry in the UK on behalf of the Fabian Society. His first book, The Reconnected Leader, was published by Kogan Page in December 2014.
Pickavance started his career in 1986 with Grand Metropolitan Diageo, before joining Fujitsu in 1990. He joined Perot Systems in 1995 as European HR director, and after its purchase and intergeneration by Dell in 1999, in 2000 joined Marconi Communications. In 2003 he was appointed Corporate Services Director at Northern Foods, and in 2007 Group HR and Communications Director at Morrisons. In 2012 he became a Non Executive Director at HMRC and in 2013 at The Serious Fraud Office. In 2014 he joined Accounting Firm Grant Thornton to develop their Vibrant Economy Strategy, connecting Business and Society through innovation and the joint development of sustainable strategies. Pickavance has also been a Non Executive Director with the National Health Service and Founded and Chaired an award winning Social Enterprise, which helped over 500 Homeless and excluded people to get their lives back through structured work and specialist support.
Pickavance is currently CEO of Tomorrow's Company and an Advisor to The BluePrint for Better Business eZ Systems. "About / Home – A Blueprint for Better Business". blueprintforbusiness.org.</ref> Pickavance is known for being a Campaigner and Activist promoting an ethical approach to business and in helping people who are excluded or exploited in society.
- 'Ethical Restaurant of the Year Award' for Create (2013)'
- 'Business in the Community UK Award' for Talent & Skills Leadership (2012)
- 'Chartered Institute Award' for Organisation Learning (2011)
- Prime Minister David Cameron's 'Big Society Award (2011)
- "HR Magazine – CIPD 2014: UK slipping into 'two tier' labour market, Pickavance warns". hrmagazine.co.uk.
- "'Have Britain's businesses been taken over by the mob?'". pioneerspost.com.
- Dina Medland (9 January 2015). "A 'Wind of Change'? Leadership Re-Imagined". Forbes.
- "HR Magazine – Norman Pickavance: Living in the age of extremes". hrmagazine.co.uk.
- "TUC: Miliband Faces Clash With Unions". Sky News.
- "MP moves to reform zero-hours contracts". The Independent.
- "Miliband to attack Sports Direct's zero-hours contracts". Financial Times.
- "Pickavance takes one step back to understand zero-hours staffing for Miliband". recruiter.co.uk.
- "Low Pay Britain: Channel 4 Dispatches – Channel 4 – Info – Press". Channel 4.
- "Norman Pickavance". gordonpoole.com.
- Jennifer Faull. "The BRC 'totally refutes' suggestion that retailers are responsible for worker exploitation following scathing Channel 4 documentary". The Drum.
- Kogan Page. "The Reconnected Leader (9780749472320)". koganpage.com.
- "HR Magazine – Morrisons' HR director Norman Pickavance to stand down in June". hrmagazine.co.uk.
- "Morrisons HR boss Pickavance packs his bags". TheGrocer.co.uk.
- "Morrisons' HR director Norman Pickavance to depart". retail-week.com.
- "HR Most Influential 2011 – Results – Top 30 HR Most Influential Practitioners 2011". hrmostinfluential.co.uk.
- "Commissioners for Revenue and Customs Act 2005". Government of the United Kingdom.
- "Former Morrisons HR director joins HMRC board". wsandb.co.uk.
- Stephen Hayward (2 August 2014). "Human cost of supermarket food price wars: Probe reveals migrant workers exploited by gangmasters". mirror.
- "How Sports Direct won a place in the premier league of retail". Financial Times.
- "Why has Labour watered down its plans to tackle zero-hour contracts?". New Statesman.
- eZ Systems. "About / Home – A Blueprint for Better Business". blueprintforbusiness.org.
- "John Lewis chairman calls for UK workforce overhaul". Relocate Magazine. relocatemagazine.com.
- "Big Society Awards". Government of the United Kingdom.