Reedus at the 2015 San Diego Comic Con International
|Born||Norman Mark Reedus
January 6, 1969
Hollywood, Florida, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, model, photographer, director, writer|
|Partner(s)||Helena Christensen (1998–2003)|
Norman Mark Reedus (born January 6, 1969), is an American model, writer, director, and actor best known for his role as Daryl Dixon on the The Walking Dead, an AMC television horror drama series (2010–present). Reedus is also recognized for his Prada clothing modeling in the 1990s. In addition, he has appeared in numerous films, appeared in and created several videos, and modeled for various other fashion designers.
Reedus was born in Hollywood, Florida, and is the eldest of two children born to Marianne (née Yarber) and Norman Reedus. He is of English, Italian, Northern Irish, Irish, and Scottish descent. He was raised in Los Angeles, California. Reedus also lived in Japan, Spain, and the United Kingdom. He worked at a Harley Davidson shop in Venice, California and contributed artwork to various shows as a painter, photographer, sculptor, and video artist. He got his first taste of acting in the play Maps for Drowners at the Tiffany Theater on Sunset Boulevard. He was first discovered at a party in Los Angeles, where someone asked him if he wanted to be in a play.
Film and television
Reedus' first film was in the 1997 William Roth drama "Floating" where he played Van. He has also played roles in the films Dark Harbor, Mimic, Six Ways to Sunday, Deuces Wild, Blade II, Gossip, 8mm, American Gangster, Hero Wanted, and Moscow Chill. In 2005, he had a small role in the Christian Alvart film Antibodies as a German policeman. In 2008, he starred in the film Red Canyon. Reedus played Murphy MacManus in the 1999 movie The Boondock Saints. He also starred in the sequel 2009 The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day. He guest starred on Charmed as Paige's (Rose McGowan) boyfriend, Nate.
In 2010, Reedus took on the role of Daryl Dixon in the AMC television series The Walking Dead, a dark drama about a group of friends and family members who fight to survive in a violent apocalyptic world populated with zombies and a few surviving humans, some of whom are even more diabolical than the living dead. The character was not originally in the comic book series of the same name, but was created specifically for Reedus after his audition for the character of Merle Dixon. The Walking Dead comic creator Robert Kirkman has stated he feels "absolutely blessed Reedus has honored the show with his presence, and the way he has come in and taken over that role and defined Daryl Dixon. A lot of Norman's portrayal of the character in the first season inspired all the writers to do what we did with him in the second season. We love writing him and end up doing cool stuff with him." The drama has evolved into the highest rated in cable history, smashing all previous records. Reedus was nominated for a 2012 Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Dixon.
In 2014, Reedus was set to the voice and motion capture for the main protagonist in the video game Silent Hills, which was to be directed by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro. He appeared in the demo entitled P.T. On April 27, 2015, Konami, Reedus and del Toro announced the cancellation of the project.
Modeling, music videos, and art
Reedus has modeled for Prada, Alessandro Dell'Acqua, Durban, Levi's, Lexus, and Morgenthal Fredrics. He has appeared in ten music videos: "Flat Top" by Goo Goo Dolls, "Cats in the Cradle" by Ugly Kid Joe, "Mean to Me" by Tonic, "Strange Currencies" by R.E.M., "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead, "Violently Happy" by Björk, "Wicked As It Seems" by Keith Richards, "Sun Down" by Tricky (ft. Tirzah), "Judas" by Lady Gaga (as Judas) ", "No Cities to Love" by Sleater-Kinney. Reedus also posed for a Cruelty Free Internationalad in support of ending cosmetic tests on animals. He is also a painter, sculptor, and photographer who currently shows his artwork in galleries in New York, Berlin, and Frankfurt. He released a book of photography on October 31, 2013 called "The Sun's Coming Up... Like A Big Bald Head," and in September 2014 announced a fan art compilation called "Thanks For All The Niceness".
Reedus was in a long-term relationship with supermodel Helena Christensen from 1998 until 2003, although the two were never married, despite reports to the contrary. Together they have a son, Mingus Lucien Reedus (born October 13, 1999). The two have remained friends and share joint custody of their son.
In 2005, while in Berlin, Reedus was involved in a car accident. He required surgery for a titanium eye socket and four screws in his nose. He has several tattoos: his father's name on the left side of his chest, a devil on his upper right arm, his son's name on his right forearm, a star on his right hand, a tiny "X" above his left collar bone, two demons on his back, a heart on his right wrist, and a snake on his left leg.
|1998||I'm Losing You||Toby|
|1998||Six Ways to Sunday||Harold|
|1998||Reach the Rock||Danny|
|1998||Dark Harbor||Young Man|
|1998||Davis Is Dead||Larry|
|1999||Let the Devil Wear Black||Brautigan|
|1999||Floating||Van||Special Jury Award for Best Acting Performance|
|1999||Boondock Saints, TheThe Boondock Saints||Murphy MacManus|
|2000||Bad Seed||Jonathan Casey|
|2001||Beatnicks, TheThe Beatnicks||Nick Nero|
|2002||Luster||Sextools Delivery Boy|
|2003||Nobody Needs to Know||Kurt|
|2003||Octane (Pulse)||Recovery Man|
|2004||Until the Night||Robert|
|2004||Ôsama no kampô (Great Wall Great Medicine)||Norman|
|2005||Notorious Bettie Page, TheThe Notorious Bettie Page||Billy Neal|
|2005||Comfortably Numb||Buddy Flemming|
|2006||13 Graves||Norman||Television film|
|2006||Walls||Henry Flesh||Short film|
|2006||Crime, AA Crime||Vincent Harris|
|2006||I Thought of You||Short film
|2006||Killer Queen||Jack Trust|
|2007||American Gangster||Detective Norman Reilly|
|2007||Moscow Chill||Ray Perso|
|2008||Meet Me in Berlin||Unnamed American||Short Film|
|2008||Cadillac Records||Chess Records Engineer|
|2008||Echoes of Extinction||Eric Richards|
|2009||Chase, TheThe Chase||Dangerous Guy|
|2009||Messengers 2: The Scarecrow||John Rollins||Direct-to-video|
|2009||Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day, TheThe Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day||Murphy MacManus|
|2010||Conspirator, TheThe Conspirator||Lewis Payne|
|2010||Ollie Klublershturf vs. The Nazis||Barry||Short film|
|2010||8 Uhr 28||Stranger|
|2011||Hello Herman||Lax Morales|
|2012||Night of the Templar||Henry Flesh|
|2013||Iron Man: Rise of Technovore||Frank Castle / The Punisher||Voice
|2013||Pawn Shop Chronicles||Stanley|
|2016||Triple Nine||Gabriel Martin||Post-production|
|2003||Charmed||Nate Parks||Recurring, 3 episodes|
|2005||Masters of Horror||Kirby||Episode: "John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns"|
|2006||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Derek Lord||Episode: "Influence" Season 7 Episode 22|
|2010||Hawaii Five-0||Anton Hesse||Episode: "Pilot" , "The Promise"|
|2010–present||Walking Dead, TheThe Walking Dead||Daryl Dixon||Season 1 (Recurring; 4 episodes)
Season 2-present (Series Regular; 50 episodes)
IGN Award for Best TV Hero (2012)
Satellite Award for Best Cast – Television Series (2012)
Nominated – EWwy Award for Best Supporting Actor, Drama (2014)
Nominated – Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor in Television (2012, 2015)
|2013||The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct||Daryl Dixon||Voice|
|2014||P.T.||N/A||Voice & Mo-Cap
Originally Known as Silent Hills but officialy Cancelled
- "Norman Reedus". The New York Times. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- "Norman Reedus, Daryl Dixon, 'The Walking Dead,' Coming to Sacramento & Chicago!". Wizard Entertainment. Retrieved May 14, 2015.
- Anderson, Kyle (November 26, 2012). "'The Walking Dead' star Norman Reedus: What's On My iPod". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "Norman Reedus web page". Norman Reedus Online. Retrieved November 5, 2009.[dead link]
- Hackie, Jake (December 5, 2013). "Norman Reedus". Ethnic Celebs. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "Biography: Norman Reedus". TV Guide. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Julian, Mark (February 9, 2012). "'The Walking Dead' Says Happy Valentine's Day, Norman Reedus Says 'Daryl Dixon Will Stab You If You Hug Him'". Comic Book Movie. Best Little Sites. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Bibel, Sara (October 13, 2014). "'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Premiere Hits Series High Ratings, Delivering 11 Million Adults 18-49 & 17.3 Million Viewers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "Cast and Crew". Hello Herman The Movie. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Grayson, Nathan (August 13, 2014). "Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro Team Up for New Silent Hill". Kotaku UK. Future plc. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Porter, Matt (April 27, 2015). "Silent Hills Has Officially Been Cancelled". IGN. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "The Walking Dead star Norman Reedus joins Cruelty Free International call for global ban on animal tests for cosmetics" (Press release). Cruelty Free International. May 8, 2013. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Ayers, Mike (September 15, 2014). "'Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Publishing Daryl Dixon Fan Art Book". Speakeasy. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "Christensen Claims Marriage Was A Sham.". Female First. August 4, 2007. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Lisaz (August 3, 2007). "Christensen Claims Marriage Was a Sham". The San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- "Helena Christensen: profile". Hello!. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Ntuen, Koko (May 25, 2015). "Interview with Norman Reedus". LadyGunn. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Carpenter, Cassie (May 13, 2012). "He's growing up so fast! Helena Christensen and son Mingus hang out in SoHo for Mother's Day weekend". Daily Mail. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- Fielding, Julian R. "Interview Norman Reedus". Fielding on Film. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Norman Reedus.|