|Ironman World Championship|
Normann ("The Norminator") Stadler (born February 25, 1973 in Wertheim) is a retired professional triathlete from Germany. He is the winner of the 2004 and 2006 Ironman Triathlon World Championship in Hawaii.
Stadler ran his first marathon at 11 years old. Later, he became a triathlete and was a member of the German national team in 1988. He won a world duathlon title in 1994. He first competed at the Ironman World Championship in 1999 as an age-group athlete. He took third place in 2000, fourth place in 2001 and 2003, and then he won in 2004.
Following his 2004 Ironman World Championship, Stadler was expected to do well in the 2005 Ironman. However, he withdrew from the race after suffering three tire punctures and a bleeding bee sting on the thigh.
In 2006, Normann returned to Kona to compete in the Ironman World Championships. Stadler swam fast enough to exit the water only moments behind the race leaders. Once on the bike course, Stadler managed to gain over 10 minutes on the chase pack, setting a bike course record at 4:18:23 (26 mph). Australian Chris McCormack came within 71 seconds of Stadler but was unable to get any closer. Stadler received $110,000 for his win.
When racing in the 2007 World Championship, Stadler was forced to withdraw due to illness before the midpoint of the bike ride and was unable to defend the title.
On July 5, 2011, Stadler had a successful five-hour heart surgery in Heidelberg (Germany). Following the surgery, four weeks later, Stadler announced his retirement from professional triathlon racing.
- Krabel, Herbert (13 July 2011). "Emergency heart operation on Normann Stadler". Slowtwitch.com. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Woodman, Jim. "2005 Ford Ironman World Championship Al-Sultan and Badmann take 2005 Honors". Active.com. Archived from the original on 26 July 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Stanton, Ron (21 October 2006). "Stadler Wins Ironman Triathlon". Washington Post. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Krabel, Herbert (13 October 2007). "Macca wins 2007 Ford Ironman World Championships". Slowtwitch.com. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Kaihawaii's Blog: Erfolgreiche Herzoperation beim zweifachen Ironman Weltmeister Normann Stadler (in German)
- "Normann Stadler Announces Retirement". LAVA magazine. 1 August 2011. Retrieved 1 August 2011.