Norris Geyser Basin Museum
Norris Museum/Norris Comfort Station
|Location||Grand Loop Rd., Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming|
|MPS||Yellowstone National Park MPS|
|NRHP Reference #||83003362|
|Added to NRHP||July 21, 1983|
The Norris Geyser Basin Museum, also known as Norris Museum or Norris Comfort Station, is one of a series of "trailside museums" in Yellowstone National Park designed by architect Herbert Maier in a style that has become known as National Park Service Rustic. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is one of three parts of a National Historic Landmark, the Norris, Madison, and Fishing Bridge Museums, which were funded by Laura Spelman Rockefeller's grant of $118,000. Built 1929 - 1930, the Norris Museum is sited on a hill between the Porcelain Basin and the Back Basin of Norris Geyser Basin. Its central breezeway frames a view of the Porcelain Basin for arriving visitors.
The 94-foot (29 m) by 20-foot (6.1 m) museum consists of two rectangular sections divided by the breezeway, which is roofed by a prominent jerkinhead gable., framed in massive logs. The pavilions to either side are of shingle-coveredframe construction on a massive stone base. A stone and concrete terrace surrounds the building.
A nearby comfort station or toilet is included in the National Register nomination. It was probably built in the 1930s. With the construction of a modern facility the one story log structure is now used as a bookstore operated by the Yellowstone Association.
The museum exhibits focus on geothermal geology, features of Norris Geyser and plant and animal life in thermal areas.
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- ""Architecture in the Parks: A National Historic Landmark Theme Study: Norris, Madison, and Fishing Bridge Museums", by Laura Soullière Harrison". National Historic Landmark Theme Study. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-02-26.
- Culpin, Mary Shivers (November 11, 1982). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- Norris Geyser Basin Museum
- Norris Museum, Museum Building, North of Steamboat Geyser & southwest of Norris Junction, Norris Junction, Park, WY at the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)
- Norris Museum, Restrooms, Northwest of Steamboat Geyser & southeast of Museum, Norris Junction, Park, WY at HABS
- Norris, Madison and Fishing Bridge Museums National Historic Landmarks at the Wyoming State Historic Preservation Office