Norristown Area School District
Norristown Area School District is a school district located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania in the United States. The school district serves the borough of Norristown, East Norriton Township, and West Norriton Township municipalities in central Montgomery County, just north-west of Philadelphia. The district is compiled of six elementary schools, three middle schools, and two high schools. The Philadelphia Inquirer has recognized Norristown Area School District as the most diverse district in the Pennsylvanian suburbs of the greater Philadelphia area. Dr. Janet C. Samuels was appointed superintendent on January 11, 2008.
- Cole Manor Elementary School
- J.K. Gotwals Elementary School
- W.S. Hancock Elementary School
- Marshall Street Elementary School
- Paul V. Fly Elementary School
- Whitehall Elementary School
- East Norriton Middle School
- A.D. Eisenhower Middle School
- Stewart Middle School
- Norristown Area High School
- Roosevelt Alternative School
The Norristown Area High School (NAHS) was established in 1870 in the Borough of Norristown and relocated to West Norriton Township in 1972. The student population is about 1900 students in grades 9-12.
The high school utilizes a modified block schedule, offers all core courses in a college prep and weighted honors format, and has entered into a partnership with Montgomery County Community College to offer dual enrollment (both high school and college credit) in a number of courses.
In 2005-2006, NAHS received a Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) Project 720 grant in support of our reform effort and that grant was renewed for the 2006-2007 school year and again for 2007 - 2008. In addition, the high school received a PDE Classrooms for the Future grant for 2006-2007, which has greatly increased student access to technology for instruction, and a United States Department of Education Small Learning Communities Project grant as well.
NAHS has a full complement of boys' and girls' sports, musical groups, co-curricular and extracurricular activities including Army JROTC, cultural, service, and drama clubs. The state-of-the-art TV production studio broadcasts news and original programming both internally and on our community access cable channel.
The high school's wrestling program has experienced much success over the past two decades - winning 14 league titles and six Southeast Regional titles. Individually, 29 Norristown wrestlers have earned medals at the PIAA State Tournament.
Norristown Area High School is a member of the Suburban One League (SOL), American Conference. They are one of the founding members of the SOL, and one of four of the remaining founding members.
- Kellee Stewart graduated from NASD in 1993.
- Jerry Spinelli, well known children's author. Two of his books are set in the Norristown area.
- Khalif Wyatt (born 1991), American basketball player for Hapoel Holon of the Israeli Basketball Premier League
- Norristown Area School District Homepage
- Norristown Area High School Alumni Association
- Official Norristown Area School District Press Releases
- Norristown Area School District's BoardDocs website