Norsemen (TV series)
|Created by||Jon Iver Helgaker |
|Developed by||Viafilm |
|Written by||Jon Iver Helgaker |
|Country of origin||Norway|
|Original language(s)||Norwegian (Norway) |
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Executive producer(s)||Marianne Arsky-Andersen |
Odd Gunnar Iversen
|Producer(s)||Anders Tangen |
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original network||NRK1 (Norway) |
Norsemen is a Norwegian comedy TV series about a group of Vikings living in the village of Norheim around the year 790. It originally premiered in Norway under the name Vikingane (Vikings) on NRK1 in October 2016. It is produced for NRK by Viafilm. The series is written and directed by Jon Iver Helgaker and Jonas Torgersen.
The series is recorded in the village of Avaldsnes in Karmøy municipality, Rogaland, Norway, and it was recorded simultaneously in both Norwegian and English-language versions. The first season of the English version was made available on Netflix's video streaming service in August 2017 under the name Norsemen, and season two was made available in October 2018. Season two was filmed in early 2017.
The show has been renewed for season 3.
The first season won the Gullruten award in 2017 for Best Comedy Show, and it was also nominated for Best Sound Production (Peter Clausen and Erling Rein).
Norsemen takes place in 790s Norway, with various characters taking the leading role as the series develops. The story covers the life of Vikings in the town of Norheim and them dealing with day-to-day life and conflict of varying comedic degrees. As the series progresses, disputes with neighboring villages, including a rival tribe with a chief wanting to modernize Norheim's culture, result in conflicts that the main characters must deal with.
- Kåre Conradi as Orm, husband of Frøya and acting chieftain while his brother Olav, the chieftain is on a raid
- Nils Jørgen Kaalstad as Arvid, the chieftain's second-in-command. He loves to go on raids but he also wants to settle in the village.
- Silje Torp as Frøya, Orm's unhappy wife and a shield-maiden who rapes men on raids
- Trond Fausa Aurvåg as Rufus, an enslaved actor from Rome who befriends Orm
- Øystein Martinsen as Kark, a freed slave who has voluntarily returned to his life as a slave
- Henrik Mestad as Chieftain Olav, the leader of the village. He found a route to sail west, where the lands are wealthier and better for raiding than in the east
- Marian Saastad Ottesen as Hildur, Olav's wife
- Jon Øigarden as Jarl Varg, Olav's superior who wants the map to the west and is willing to do a lot for it
- Kristine Riis as Liv, a farmer's wife whose husband gets killed in a duel by Arvid, so Arvid can marry her and own the farm
The first season averaged more than one million viewers in Norway, a country with a population of a little over five million.
Norwegian writer Marie Kleve praised the parody violence and how it reflects stories from our time while the characters are living in the Viking era.
- Linda Jew (April 25, 2016). "Vikingane: New Comedy Series Spoofing Vikings Filming in Norwegian and English". The Euro TV Place. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Vikingane goes global as Norsemen on Netflix". nordicdrama.com. 2017-06-30. Archived from the original on 2017-08-15.
- Jorn Rossing Jensen (August 21, 2017). "Haugesund: NRK's Ivar Køhn on Norway's TV Drama Build, Nordic Noir as a Brand". Variety. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Norsemen Season 3 Has Been Renewed – Netflix Release Date?". What's on Netflix. September 28, 2018.
- "Nesten én million har sett premieren". NRK. 2016-10-24. Retrieved 2016-10-27.
- Poniewozik, James; Hale, Mike; Lyons, Margaret (2017-12-04). "The Best TV Shows of 2017". The New York Times.
- "The 50 best TV shows of 2017: 50-1". The Guardian. 2017-11-30.
- "Komiserien "Vikingane" er vekselvis hylende morsom og underbukse-platt". Dagbladet.no. 2016-10-14. Retrieved 2016-10-17.