|Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education|
Potchefstroom University University of Bophuthatswana
|Motto||Dit Begin Alles Hier (Afrikaans)
Gotlhe Go Simolola Fano (Setswana)
Motto in English
|It All Starts Here|
(By merger of existing institutions)
|Chancellor||Kgosi Leruo Molotlegi|
|Rector||J.J Janse van Rensburg (Potchefstroom) 
L.A du Plessis (Vanderbijlpark)M. Setlalentoa (Mahikeng)
|Colours||Purple, Turquoise and Grey|
The North-West University (NWU) is a public research university located on three campuses in Potchefstroom, Mahikeng and Vanderbijlpark in South Africa. The head offices of the university are located on the Potchefstroom campus. With its merged status, the North-West University became one of the largest universities in South Africa with the second largest student population (full-time and distance education) in the country.
The universities that merged to form this institution are the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education and the University of North-West (formerly the University of Bophuthatswana). The Potchefstroom University already had a Vanderbijlpark branch.
The university is home to 8 faculties including:
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Accounting Sciences
- Business and Governance (Business School)
- Economic Sciences
- Industrial Psychology and Human Resource Management
- Management Sciences
- Language Education
- Psycho-Social Education
- Professional Studies in Education
- Mathematics, Science and Technology Education
- Commerce and Social Studies in Education
- Chemical and Minerals Engineering
- Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering
- Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Health Sciences
- Human Movement Sciences
- Psychosocial Health
- Consumer Sciences
- Occupational Hygiene
- Communication Studies
- Government Studies
- Social Sciences
- Mercantile Law
- Public Law
- Private Law
- Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Physical and Chemical Sciences
- Biological Sciences
- Geo- and Spatial Sciences
- Agricultural Sciences
- Mathematical and Statistical Sciences
- Computer Science and Information Systems
- Business Mathematics and Statistics
- Indigenous Knowledge Systems
- Christian Ministry and Leadership
- Ancient Language and Text Studies
In 2018 the North West University's Potchefstroom Campus created a new worldwide usable model (by their researchers) to control the Fall Army Worm pest. The prototype does an accurate prediction of the worldwide spread of the worm. The researchers has also identified a natural process to deal with it, by using a parasitoid.
North-West University Vaal Triangle Campus
The Vaal Triangle Campus focuses on programmes in economic sciences, commerce, information technology, education, social science, languages and the humanities. These programmes are divided between two faculties, namely the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Information Technology and the Faculty of Humanities, and the Faculty of Theology. The Faculty of Economic Sciences and Information Technology include Economic Sciences, Accounting Sciences and Information Technology. Extended programmes in BCom and BSc are also offered to accommodate those students who had Mathematical Literacy or a low pass mark for Maths in Grade 12. The Faculty of Humanities includes Languages, Behavioural Sciences, Basic Sciences and Educational Sciences, conducting research in the following areas:
- Understanding and Processing Language
- Positive Psychology
- Public Affairs Research on Service Delivery
- Water Research
The campus has its own Cricket Academy and Cycling Academy as well as a rowing club registered with Rowing South Africa.
Sporting codes of NWU Vaal
- Cricket (men and women)
- Football (men and women)
- Body building (men and women)
North-West University Mahikeng Campus
It has the following faculties
- Agriculture, Science and Technology
- Human and Social media
- Commercece and
It has a football institute.
It was an extension of the PUK rugby institute founded by its predecessor university in 2000 just with a name change. It carried on operating under Andre Markgraaff. The University plays in the Varsity Cup.
- Dirk Hermann Trade unionist
- Gerhard Mostert South African Rugby player, who played for the Springboks and Stade Français. He plays lock.
- Warren Whiteley South African Rugby player, who played for the Springboks and Lions. He played eightman and was springbok Captain
- Katlego Maboe award-winning television presenter
- Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters Miss Universe 2017.
- Molotlegi, K.L. 2004-2019
- Mokgokong, A.T. 2019-
- Eloff, T. 2004-2014
- Kgwadi, D. 2014-
- Loots (Nee Combrink), A.L. 2004-2010
- van Schalkwyk, H. 2010-2015
- Janse van Rensburg, Fika 2016-2018
- Mariba, T.J. 2004-2017
- du Plessis, L.A. 2017-
- Kgwadi, D. 2004-2013
- Maselesele, M. 2013-2018
- Setlalentoa, B.M.P. 2018-
- Torirai, E (29 September 2014). "A new direction for NWU". Afro voice publication. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Nkosi, B. "No plan to diminish Afrikaans at NWU". Mail & Guardian.
- "NWU is meertalig (translated:NWU is multilingual)". volksblad newspaper. 16 January 2018. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Kruger, H. "nuwe era van eenheid (translated: New are for unity". news24. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "Mafikeng Campus Operations". Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "CHE | Council on Higher Education | Regulatory body for Higher Education in South Africa | Education | Innovation | University | South Africa". www.che.ac.za. Retrieved 2020-05-25.
- "Student statistics of the North West University". Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "North-West University". Universities in South Africa. Retrieved 2020-05-25.
- "Faculties | NWU | North-West University". www.nwu.ac.za. Retrieved 2018-04-01.
- Lehihi, S (23 August 2018). "Scientists at the North West University create pest control model". SABC news. Retrieved 8 July 2019.
- "North West University - Vaal Triangle Campus". Educartis. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "North West University". South Africa Education. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- "NWU". SAstudy. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Mafikeng campus". Pathfinder. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Behind the touchlines". Potchefstroom Herald newspaper. 15 May 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2018.
- Scheppel, K. (3 August 2011). "Mostert rugby institute's third Bok". NWU. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- Pienaar, W. (25 June 2016). "(Afrikaans)Warren Whiteley: Van Pukke 0.20 C-span na Springbok Agtsteman (translated : from university under twenty C team to Springbok Eightman)". Potchefstroom Herald Newspaper. Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Katlego Maboe". Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- Santana, M. (27 March 2017). "NWU alumna crowned as Miss SA 2017". Retrieved 4 August 2018.
- "Annette Combrinck" (PDF). Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Herman van Schalkwyk" (PDF). Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "New rector makes campus history". Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- "Mashudu Maselesele" (PDF). Retrieved 5 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to North-West University.|