North & South (US magazine)
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Categories||American Civil War|
|Company||Civil War Society|
|Based in||Tollhouse, California|
|Website||North & South|
North & South – The Official Magazine of the Civil War Society was a military history and general history bi-monthly magazine published in the United States concerning the American Civil War 1861–1865. As its title states, it was the official magazine of the Civil War Society. It was often referred to as just "North & South." Keith Poulter is the magazine's founder and editor. The headquarters was in Tollhouse, California.
North & South was founded in 1997 with a focus on historical accuracy with frequent ground breaking topics. This is often done by discussion articles that is unique to this magazine. The book review section and "Crossfire" provide a mix of light and detail. It is considered an accurate historical magazine without a "pop" magazine feel.
The magazine is an 8 inch by 103⁄4 inch color glossy cover with 65 to 85 magazine grade pages containing primarily black and white pictures related to the American Civil War with color pictures for a nice balance.
The magazine featured articles focus on historical people, weapons, battles or campaigns and events which describe the context in which the Civil War conflict was fought. They will typically include appropriate illustrations and an expanded bibliography for further reading. There can also be eyewitness accounts, and other war-related topics. The articles cover a diverse range of historical events prior to and after the American Civil War. The magazine also includes an editorial page and brief reviews of history books and simulations. The illustrations include maps, museum artwork, and photographs.
End of publication
- "North & South : the magazine of Civil War conflict". WorldCat. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- "R.I.P. North and South Magazine (1997-2013)". CW Memory. June 4, 2013. Retrieved January 30, 2016.
- "North & South Magazine - rating". Amazon. 2010. Retrieved April 17, 2010.
- Product description: Contains Civil War history as well as new material based on original research.
- Average customer review 4 of 5 stars.[dead link]
- North & South - The Official Magazine of the Civil War Society, Mission Statement, accessed April 16, 2010. Archived September 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.northandsouthmagazineonline.com/ Archived November 18, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.