North Arlington High School
|North Arlington High School|
|222 Ridge Road
North Arlington, NJ 07031
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Pride, Loyalty, Desire|
1936 (established as a high school)
|School district||North Arlington School District|
|Asst. principal||Dennis Kenny|
|Enrollment||480 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.7:1|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
North Arlington High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grade from North Arlington, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the North Arlington School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 480 students and 45.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 10.7:1. There were 70 students (14.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 29 (6.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 196th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 149th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 141st in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 198th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 182nd in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The North Arlington High School Vikings compete as a member of Meadowlands Division A of the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference, a league that includes small high schools in the northeast part of New Jersey, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 363 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North II, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 73 to 487 students in that grade range. Prior to the realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, North Arlington was a part of the Bergen County Scholastic League's National division.
The school participates in joint wrestling and boys' and girl's swimming programs with Lyndhurst High School as the host school / lead agency, under an agreement that expires at the end of the 2016-17 school year.
The school's nickname is the Vikings, and the school colors are royal blue and white. The school's athletic rivals are Lyndhurst High School and Harrison High School. The school offers many boys' and girls' athletic programs that include:
Fall Volleyball, Football, Boys & Girls Soccer, Cheerleading, Cross Country^, Marching Band
Winter Boys & Girls Basketball, Cheerleading, Bowling, Swimming^, Wrestling^
Spring Boys & Girls Track, Baseball, Softball, Rowing Crew, Golf
^(combined with Lyndhurst High School)
The boys' basketball team won the Group I state championship in 1953 (defeating Riverside High School in the tournament final), 1956 (vs. Bordentown Regional High School) and 1957 (vs. Wildwood High School).
Core members of the school's administration include:
- Christopher Mingoia, Principal
- Dennis Kenny, Assistant Principal
- School data for North Arlington High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- North Arlington High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 24, 2016.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 20, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed April 24, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 22, 2014.
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed November 22, 2014.
- NJSIAA 2016 - 2018 Co-Operative Sports Programs, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Public Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 4, 2017.
- Administration, Faculty, Staff, North Arlington High School. Accessed April 24, 2016.
- North Arlington High School
- North Arlington School District
- North Arlington School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the North Arlington School District, National Center for Education Statistics