North Bass Island
North Bass Island is an island of the U.S. state of Ohio located in Lake Erie. A small unincorporated community, Isle Saint George, is on the island. The North Bass Island Post Office was established on May 25, 1864, and the name changed to Isle Saint George Post Office on March 2, 1874. The Isle Saint George ZIP code 43436 provides PO Box service.
The 688.6-acre (2.786 km²) island is one of few islands that has not been commercially developed. The state of Ohio purchased 589 acres (2.4 km²) of the island to preserve it from development and operates it as North Bass Island State Park.
Historically, North Bass was mainly used as a vineyard. According to the 2000 census the island had 13 permanent residents. The island's only public school closed in 2006 after more than a century of operation. As of January 2007, there were roughly two dozen permanent residents residing on the island's 12 privately owned properties.
North Bass Island is the second largest and northernmost island of the Bass Islands; which are a part of the larger Lake Erie Islands archipelago. On the southwest corner of the island there is a small bay named Manila Bay and there is a small unnamed creek that protrudes from the bay. The island is part of Put-in-Bay Township, Ottawa County, Ohio.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: North Bass Island
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Isle Saint George
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Isle Saint George Post Office
- ZIP Code Lookup, United States Postal Service
- North Bass Island: Blocks 1075 thru 1082, Census Tract 501, Ottawa County, Ohio United States Census Bureau
- Zelm, Annie (November 30, 2011). "Ohio island school considers ideas to stay afloat as enrollment dwindles". Sandusky Register. Sandusky Newspapers. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/18406/default.aspx, Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- "North Bass Island". FAA. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- North Bass Island State Park - official site
|This Ottawa County, Ohio state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|