North Bass Island
North Bass Island is an island of the U.S. state of Ohio located in Lake Erie. A small unincorporated community, Isle Saint George, is on the island. The North Bass Island Post Office was established on May 25, 1864, and the name changed to Isle Saint George Post Office on March 2, 1874. The Isle Saint George ZIP code 43436 provides PO Box service. The island is equidistant to Port Clinton, OH and Kingsport, Ontario, Canada
The 688.6-acre (2.786 km²) island is one of few islands that has not been commercially developed. The state of Ohio purchased 589 acres (2.4 km²) of the island to preserve it from development and operates it as North Bass Island State Park.
Historically, North Bass was mainly used as a vineyard. According to the 2000 census the island had 13 permanent residents. As of January 2007, there were roughly two dozen permanent residents residing on the island's 12 privately owned properties.
North Bass Island School is the last operating, public, one-room school. The school is designated by the Ohio Legislature and approved by the Ohio Department of Education as a K-8 building; the only on an island in Ohio and the only other in Ohio being College Corner.. High students who reside on North Bass island fly to the mainland or another island. High School students have attended EHOVE Career Center, Put-in-Bay, and Sandusky High School. All of the members of the Board of Education attended North Bass School. Because there is no ferry service to the island and ice surrounds it for four (4) months per year school year, high school students fly to the airport closest to their school.
North Bass Island is the second largest and northernmost island of the Bass Islands; which are a part of the larger Lake Erie Islands archipelago. On the southwest corner of the island there is a small bay named Manila Bay and there is a small unnamed creek that protrudes from the bay. The island is part of Put-in-Bay Township, Ottawa County, Ohio.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: North Bass Island
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Isle Saint George
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Isle Saint George Post Office
- ZIP Code Lookup, United States Postal Service
- "North Bass Island State Park". parks.ohiodnr.gov. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- North Bass Island: Blocks 1075 thru 1082, Census Tract 501, Ottawa County, Ohio United States Census Bureau
- http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/18406/default.aspx, Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- "North Bass Island". FAA. Retrieved 3 April 2013.
- "One-room school", Wikipedia, 2019-08-04, retrieved 2019-08-17
- "Union County–College Corner Joint School District", Wikipedia, 2019-07-24, retrieved 2019-08-17
- "Put-in-Bay students fly to school". WEWS. 2017-03-01. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- "Elected Officials | Ottawa County". Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- "Battle of Lake Erie", Wikipedia, 2019-08-07, retrieved 2019-08-17
- Tucker, Patrick. "Land Claim on North Bass Island in Lake Erie by the Ottawa Tribe of Oklahoma". Cite journal requires
- "Ottawa tribe's claim to North Bass Island is rejected by Petro". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 2019-08-17.
- North Bass Island State Park - official site
|This Ottawa County, Ohio state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|