North Beaver Township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania
|North Beaver Township|
National Register of Historic Places
Location of North Beaver Township in Lawrence County
Location of Lawrence County in Pennsylvania
|• Total||43.2 sq mi (112 km2)|
|• Land||43.1 sq mi (112 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|• Density||95/sq mi (37/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-5)|
|School district||Mohawk Area School District|
The Slovene National Benefit Society applied to have their 500-acre (200 ha) recreation center in North Beaver Township designated as a separate municipality in 1977. The S.N.P.J. borough was created so that the society could, among other things, get their own liquor license, for North Beaver Township restricts the sale of alcohol.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 43.2 square miles (112.0 km²), of which 43.1 square miles (111.5 km²) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.5 km²), or 0.44%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,022 people, 1,502 households, and 1,180 families residing in the township. The population density was 93.4 people per square mile (36.1/km²). There were 1,580 housing units at an average density of 36.7/sq mi (14.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.66% White, 0.05% African American, 0.02% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.12% from other races, and 0.77% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.50% of the population.
There were 1,502 households, out of which 33.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.6% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.4% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the township the population was spread out, with 24.8% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 26.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 99.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $41,413, and the median income for a family was $50,000. Males had a median income of $33,152 versus $21,906 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,869. About 6.7% of families and 8.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.6% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.
The Mohawk Area School District serves the township.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): North Beaver township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- Mendak, Joe, Internet Archive of "NOBODY HOME: A mayor, an office and a pool, but no official population at the Borough of SNPJ", Associated Press
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- DeLorme. Pennsylvania Atlas & Gazetteer. 8th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2003, p. 56. ISBN 0-89933-280-3.