University of North Bengal
|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This college or university article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia guidelines for college and university articles. (April 2017)|
|उत्तर बंग विश्वविद्यालय
Seal of the University of North Bengal
|Chancellor||Keshari Nath Tripathi, Governor of West Bengal|
|Location||Second Campus: Danguajhar, Jalpaiguri, Jalpaiguri district, West Bengal, India|
The University of North Bengal (Bengali: উত্তরবঙ্গ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a state university in Raja Rammohanpur, Siliguri in Darjeeling district in the Indian state of West Bengal. A second campus is in Danguajhar, Jalpaiguri in Jalpaiguri district, also in West Bengal. The university was established in 1962 to fill growing manpower needs in the six North Bengal districts and the neighbouring state of Sikkim. North Bengal University offers degrees in undergraduate, post-graduate, M. Phil and doctorate programs.
The University of North Bengal was established by Act of the Legislature of West Bengal in 1962. It was the first university in the region. It served predominantly rural areas in six districts: Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, Cooch Behar, Maldah, Uttar Dinajpur and Dakshin Dinajpur.
In 2008, the University of Gour Banga was established and almost all the 28 colleges in Maldah, Uttar Dinajpur and Dakshin Dinajpur (with the exception of Raiganj University College) were affiliated to it.
In 2012-13, Cooch Behar Panchanan Barma University was established with all the colleges of Cooch Behar district and Alipurduar subdivision of Jalpaiguri district affiliated with it. The University of North Bengal has jurisdiction over the districts of Darjeeling and Jalpaiguri.
- Chancellor: Keshari Nath Tripathi, Governor of the State of West Bengal
- Vice Chancellor: Somnath Ghosh
- Registrar: B. Pal
- Controller of Examinations: S. Das
Former Vice Chancellors
- B.N. Dasgupta
- Amlan Dutta
- Prasad Ghosh
- Dipti Bhushan Dutta, 1982–1987
- K. N Chatterjee
- Ranju Gopal Mukherjee
- Pijush Kanti Saha
- Arunabha Basumajumdar
- Samir Kumar Das (temporary)
- Somnath Ghosh
The university has an annual enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate and more than 1,500 postgraduate students and scholars. Students come from North Bengal mainly from hills and plain areas. North Bengal University also provide distance education in Ma English , philosophy , Bangla etc .
The University of North Bengal offers two-year M.Sc. programmes in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Zoology, Botany, Bio-technology, Anthropology, Geography and Microbiology. It offers a three-year M.C.A. programme. The concerned departments of the university offer a two-year Masters programme (M.A.) in English, Bengali, Nepali, Hindi, Economics, History, Library and Information Science, Philosophy, Sociology, Political Management, Tourism & Hotel Management, Environmental Law, Information Technology (IT), Disaster Management, Mass Communication & Video Production, Museum Studies & Cultural Tourism, and French language.
North Bengal University has 23 departments organised into two faculties: Science and Arts, Commerce and Law Faculty.
- Faculty of Science: This faculty has 10 departments. It offers courses on science subjects including:
- Computer Science and Applications
- Environmental Science
- Geography and Applied Geography
- Tea Science
- Faculty of Arts, Commerce and Law: This faculty consists of 15 departments offering courses on:
- Languages (Bengali, English, Hindi and Nepali)
- Political Science
- Strategic & Area Studies
- Library & Information Science
- Adult Continuing Education Extension & Field Outreach
The university offers affiliation to research and academic centres on and off campus.
- Centre for Development Studies
- Centre for High Energy & Cosmic Ray
- Centre for Remote Sensing Application
- Centre for Tea Management
- Centre for Mass Communication
- Centre for Himalayan Studies
- Centre for Women's Studies
- Center for Social Research
- Centre for Studies in Local Language and Culture
- Centre for Tourism and Hotel Management
- Centre for Marketing Management
- Centre for Ambedkar Studies
The university has several affiliated colleges under its umbrella. These colleges spread over three districts of North Bengal run graduate programmes (B.A., B. Sc., and B.Com.). Islampur College, University B.T. & Evening College, Cooch Behar are also affiliated to this university .
The Akshaya Kumar Maitreya Heritage Museum incorporating the Raja Rajaram Museum Collection was established in the University of North Bengal in February 1965. The museum is now a repository for sculpture, coins, paintings, and manuscripts, among other things, related to the history of North Bengal. It is also a regional museum and is one of the few university museums in India. It collects, preserves and studies archaeological relics discovered regionally.