North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality
|Jurisdiction||State of North Carolina|
|Headquarters||217 West Jones Street, Raleigh, North Carolina|
|Parent agency||Governor of North Carolina|
The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ) is North Carolina's leading stewardship agency for the preservation and protection of natural resources and public health. The Department is headed by the Secretary of Environmental Quality, who is appointed by the Governor of North Carolina and is a member of the North Carolina Cabinet. The Department of Environmental Quality was formed in 2015 and it was proceeded by the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources, which was formed in 1971 by the North Carolina Executive Reorganization Act.
The Department was originally established as the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources by the North Carolina Reorganization Act of 1971.
Current Divisions of the NCDEQ include:
- Air Quality
- Coastal Management
- Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources
- Environmental Assistance and Customer Service
- Environmental Education and Public Affairs
- Marine Fisheries
- Legislative and Intergovernmental Affairs
- Marine Fisheries
- Mitigation Services
- Waste Management
- Water Infrastructure
- Water Resources
- Financial Services
- General Counsel
- Human Resources
- Stewardship Program
The Secretaries of the Department of Environmental Quality have included:
As the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources, the Secretaries included the following:
- John E. Skvarla, III, 2013 - 2014
- Dee A. Freeman, 2009 - 2013
- William G. Ross, Jr., 2001 - 2009
- William E. Holman, 1999 - 2001
- Wayne McDevitt, 1997 - 1999
- Jonathan B. Howes, 1993 - 1997
- William W. Cobey, Jr., 1989 - 1993
- S. Thomas Rhodes, 1985 - 1988
- James A. Summer, 1984 - 1985
- Joseph W. Grimsley, 1981 - 1983
- Howard N. Lee, 1977 - 1981
- George W. Little, 1976 - 1977
- James E. Harrington, 1973 - 1976
- Charles W. Bradshaw, Jr., 1971 - 1973
- Roy G. Sowers, 1971
- "DENR has a new name - N.C. Dept. of Environmental Quality". N.C. Dept. of Environmental Quality. September 21, 2015. Retrieved October 3, 2015.
- "About the Department of Environmental Quality". DEQ.nc.gov. Retrieved October 6, 2019.
- Lewis, J.D. "NC Department of Environmental Quality". carolana.com. Retrieved December 6, 2019.
- "Statute, Chapter 143B, Artilce 7" (PDF). ncleg.net. Retrieved December 6, 2019.
- "Secretary - Donald R. van der Vaart". N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources. State of North Carolina, USA. Retrieved 15 October 2015.